How can one import a calendar from Rainlendar to VueMinder?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Postby Lefant » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:21 pm

I cannot get it to work, the reminders do not work at all in VueMinder after importing them.
Win 10
Lefant

Re: How can one import a calendar from Rainlendar to VueMind

Postby VueSoft » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:05 pm

You can export from Rainlendar to an iCalendar file, which should (I believe) include any reminders you've configured. To export from Rainlendar, follow these steps:
1. Right click over the calendar window and choose Manager.
2. Select Export->iCalendar Format from the File menu.
3. Save the events to a file.

In VueMinder, click the File -> Import -> Import Events menu command to import the iCalendar file. Make sure the option to include reminders is checked.

If the imported events don't include reminders, open the iCalendar file in Notepad and search for VALARM. Each event that was configured to have a reminder should have a VALARM entry in the iCalendar file. If you can't find any VALARM entries, then Rainlendar might not be including reminders in the exported file.

If you DO see VALARM entries, but none of the imported events in VueMinder have reminders enabled, could you send me a copy of the iCalendar file so I can determine why the reminders aren't getting included in the import? You can email the file to support@vueminder.com.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Lefant » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:50 am

Thank you very much for the instructions!

How could one copy the content / results of that window and / or can one search in it(?):

It would be good if on top the total amount of all imported dates / events would be shown (to compare them with the exported events to see if all events are imported), the total amount of recurring and non-recurring events. It is hard to find the non-recurring events without search / coopy option.

If the imported events don't include reminders, open the iCalendar file in Notepad and search for VALARM. Each event that was configured to have a reminder should have a VALARM entry in the iCalendar file. If you can't find any VALARM entries, then Rainlendar might not be including reminders in the exported file.

There are 914 occurrences of "VALARM" in that file. And 394 recurring events have been added during the import:

These 394 all have an reminder. That means 520 non-recurring events must have a reminder? Is that right?

The reminders in Rainlender (almost) all have different times (e.g. a week, 1 month, 3 days, 5 hours before) before (and some after) the event occurrs.

And there also are multiple reminders in Rainlendar for the same event, e.g. reminding 3 (or more or less) times before the event is reached and even reminders reminding after the event occurrs, e.g. 5 days after the event took place or 1 week, etc.
Can one do that in VueMinder as well, setting multiple reminders, etc. like above?

Is there a good method to check if all events / data, especially reminders are added to VueMinder as they should be / like they are in Rainlendar?

These reminders reminds of the same event:

This is shown in Rainlendar:

It does not look as if it was imported correctly, respectively is it added the they way it should be, like it is in Rainlendar?
Although this looks good, the same event (like the 6 above which are one single event obviously):

After the import VueMinder automatically shows 10 reminders now:
These reminders are (besides of one) completely different from what Rainlendar shows. Why could that be?

If you DO see VALARM entries, but none of the imported events in VueMinder have reminders enabled, could you send me a copy of the iCalendar file so I can determine why the reminders aren't getting included in the import? You can email the file to support@vueminder.com.

It seems as if these reiminders are enabled (like mentioned abvove) but not the way they are / work in Rainlendar. I would like to send you that file but...may be there is a method to replace (the content of) SUMMARY and DESCRIPTION in that file with characters, e.g. "xxxxxx" for SUMMARY and "zzzzzz" for DESCRIPTION or so, I do not have any idea how I could do it.
It looks like this:

CLASS:PRIVATE
RRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;INTERVAL=2
DTSTART:20160225T193000Z
LAST-MODIFIED:20190825T184348Z
BEGIN:VALARM
ACTION:AUDIO
TRIGGER;VALUE=DURATION:PT0S
X-RAINLENDAR-ALARM-TYPE:alert
END:VALARM
END:VEVENT
BEGIN:VEVENT
CREATED:20131124T214036Z
DTSTAMP:20141212T110021Z
UID:0090e1b5-eb69-47a8-a4f4-1d4786562d28
SUMMARY:Nikolaus
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20001206
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20001207
TRANSP:TRANSPARENT
LAST-MODIFIED:20181213T195707Z
ACTION:DISPLAY
TRIGGER;VALUE=DURATION:-P3W
DESCRIPTION:
CREATED:20140813T113751Z
LAST-MODIFIED:20140821T170256Z
DTSTAMP:20140821T170256Z
UID:009cd19e-a07c-4b09-9ab1-c17c2d25ef81
SUMMARY:
RRULE:FREQ=DAILY
DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Paris:20140814T140000
DTEND;TZID=Europe/Paris:20140814T150000
TRANSP:OPAQUE
DTSTAMP:20161213T153615Z
TRANSP:TRANSPARENT
UID:0106d380-46ac-544a-ad91-30e3dcce52b2
SUMMARY:
CLASS:PRIVATE
RRULE:FREQ=DAILY;INTERVAL=21
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20161213
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20161214
LAST-MODIFIED:20190827T081736Z
TRIGGER;VALUE=DURATION:PT0S
CREATED:20120220T145838Z
DTSTAMP:20150404T065544Z
SEQUENCE:2
UID:020b2637-98e1-404d-8d5b-485037d17fc5
SUMMARY:
DESCRIPTION:
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYMONTHDAY=31;BYMONTH=3
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20050331
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20050401
TRANSP:OPAQUE
LAST-MODIFIED:20190405T194723Z
TRIGGER;VALUE=DURATION:-P3W
CREATED:20061023T132504Z
DTSTAMP:20150104T102032Z
UID:031bd550-c8d9-11da-9d0c-a4805e40b203
Win 10
Lefant

Postby VueSoft » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:06 pm

How could one copy the content / results of that window and / or can one search in it(?):

Unfortunately, there's no mechanism to search within the import results text. However, you can search after importing by clicking the "Events" tab. Please see the section titled "Searching for Events" in the documentation linked below for more details:
https://www.vueminder.com/products/vuem ... tlist.html

These 394 all have an reminder. That means 520 non-recurring events must have a reminder? Is that right?

Yes, that sounds right.

And there also are multiple reminders in Rainlendar for the same event, e.g. reminding 3 (or more or less) times before the event is reached and even reminders reminding after the event occurrs, e.g. 5 days after the event took place or 1 week, etc.
Can one do that in VueMinder as well, setting multiple reminders, etc. like above?

VueMinder supports up to 2 popup reminders and 2 desktop alerts for a single event. You can also schedule any number of email, SMS, or phone reminders for a single event. However, when importing from an iCalendar file, only the first popup reminder for each event will import.
https://www.vueminder.com/products/vuem ... tions.html

Is there a good method to check if all events / data, especially reminders are added to VueMinder as they should be / like they are in Rainlendar?

As mentioned above, you could use the Event List to search for events or see the total number of events that were imported for a specified date range. I'm not sure how easy that would be to compare with Rainlendar if you have a thousand events though.

These reminders reminds of the same event:

In VueMinder terminology, that's a recurring event with a reminder for each occurrence. Based on what I see in your screenshots, it looks like the recurring event imported properly. It is kind of odd to show a reminder 150 days before an occurrence when dealing with a recurring event that repeats every 7 days, but if that's what you want to do...

These reminders are (besides of one) completely different from what Rainlendar shows. Why could that be?

I'm not sure. VueMinder won't show reminders for occurrences that happened more than a week ago. Also, only the reminder for the next occurrence will appear. For example, if you have a recurring event that repeats every day and the series goes for a year, you wouldn't want to see 365 reminders for every occurrence - just the reminder for the next occurrence. That's how Outlook and most other calendar programs work. I'm not sure why Rainlendar shows a reminder for every occurrence simultaneously, but that's not how VueMinder was designed.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Lefant » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:25 am

VueMinder supports up to 2 popup reminders and 2 desktop alerts for a single event. You can also schedule any number of email, SMS, or phone reminders for a single event. However, when importing from an iCalendar file, only the first popup reminder for each event will import.
https://www.vueminder.com/products/vuem ... tions.html

Thank you for the link. So that means I will lose all reminders (when importing) besides of the first one or the first 2 ones (and all reminders after the date). There is no way to import / export all of them, I assume. How should one handle such multiple reminders (like they are in Rainlendar) in VueMinder best?

So the iCalendar format does not have the option to import more than one reminder for a single event? Is there anything else I could use in VueMinder instead of multiple reminders in Rainlendar? Supported by the iCalendar format (for im-, exporting)? How should I handle it if I wanted more reminders than 1 or 2 for a single event?

VueMinder supports up to 2 popup reminders

2 reminders in total, including the reminder for the event date? Or 3 altogether?

As mentioned above, you could use the Event List to search for events or see the total number of events that were imported for a specified date range. I'm not sure how easy that would be to compare with Rainlendar if you have a thousand events though.

The event list is the tab "Events"? So just do some spot checks. By simply filtering events and compare them to the ones in Rainlendar with the same filtering.

It seems to be extremely hard to change-over to a new calendar program without losing a date, reminder, missing anything. The best seems to be to run both VueMinder and Rainlendar for some months or a year together to not to miss an event, a date, reminder and correct, adapt events, dates, reminders in VueMinder. Or is there a better method? Is it usually that complicated, such a big effort to transfer your data from another calendar to a new one?

Or is there anything else I could do to get all of my data to VueMinder?

I'm not sure. VueMinder won't show reminders for occurrences that happened more than a week ago.

So that means, if there was a reminder (of an imported event to VueMinder with 5 reminders) which would have shown up 5 days ago it would be shown immediately after the import. And the second reminder would show up according to the scheduled date and the last 3 reminders would never be shown? And if there was a reminder which would have shown up 8 days ago it would never be shown after the import?

If there is an event added 2 years ago to Rainlendar with reccurring reminder each 2 weeks.

There are missing many reminders (they are not popping up) as far as I can see up to now.

So reminders like this one are not shown in VueMinder after the import(?):

Also, only the reminder for the next occurrence will appear. For example, if you have a recurring event that repeats every day and the series goes for a year, you wouldn't want to see 365 reminders for every occurrence - just the reminder for the next occurrence. That's how Outlook and most other calendar programs work. I'm not sure why Rainlendar shows a reminder for every occurrence simultaneously, but that's not how VueMinder was designed.

Yes, and that is how Rainlendar works, if I see it right.
Win 10
Lefant

Postby VueSoft » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:08 am

So the iCalendar format does not have the option to import more than one reminder for a single event? Is there anything else I could use in VueMinder instead of multiple reminders in Rainlendar? Supported by the iCalendar format (for im-, exporting)? How should I handle it if I wanted more reminders than 1 or 2 for a single event?

The iCalendar file format can support multiple reminders for a single event, but that's not how VueMinder is designed. Instead, when you get a reminder in VueMinder, you can snooze the reminder so it will appear again after the specified amount of time. You can snooze the reminder any number of times. Since reminders can be snoozed, you can just schedule one reminder and then snooze as many times as you want, rather than having to schedule when each reminder should appear.

2 reminders in total, including the reminder for the event date? Or 3 altogether?

The first reminder is based on the event starting time, and the second (optional) reminder is based on the event's ending time.

The event list is the tab "Events"? So just do some spot checks. By simply filtering events and compare them to the ones in Rainlendar with the same filtering.

Yes, that's what I would suggest.

So that means, if there was a reminder (of an imported event to VueMinder with 5 reminders) which would have shown up 5 days ago it would be shown immediately after the import. And the second reminder would show up according to the scheduled date and the last 3 reminders would never be shown? And if there was a reminder which would have shown up 8 days ago it would never be shown after the import?

That's correct. The thinking is that if an event occurred more than a week ago, there's no need to provide a reminder because time travel has not been invented yet. If the imported event is recurring, a reminder will be shown for the next occurrence, not the occurrence that happened a week ago.

There are missing many reminders (they are not popping up) as far as I can see up to now.

I'm not sure why some of your reminders aren't appearing. If these reminders are for recurring events, you won't actually see the reminders until they are scheduled, based on the date/time of the next occurrence.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Lefant » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:01 am

Instead, when you get a reminder in VueMinder, you can snooze the reminder so it will appear again after the specified amount of time. You can snooze the reminder any number of times. Since reminders can be snoozed, you can just schedule one reminder and then snooze as many times as you want,

Yes, the same does Rainlendar. So one had to schedule (again for that event) the other reminders for the same event than the first 2 reminders as recently as the 2 reminders occurr instead of scheduling all reminders when creating the event, if I see it right.

So when importing an iCalendar file VueMinder leaves out (important) reminders if there are more than 2 reminders for a single event (without notifying that they are left out)? So there is no chance to get notified at that times?

rather than having to schedule when each reminder should appear.

So one had to / should create an event for each reminder if one wants more than 2 reminders for a single event instead?

The first reminder is based on the event starting time, and the second (optional) reminder is based on the event's ending time.

Sorry, what does that mean, "is based"?
Respectively:
Which of the multiple reminders are taken by VueMinder? The 2 first ones, last ones, others? So up to 2 reminders and the event itself will be added to VueMinder when importing?

The thinking is that if an event occurred more than a week ago, there's no need to provide a reminder because time travel has not been invented yet.

Very sorry for my bad understanding, but why then is there a need to provide a reminder if an avent occurred less than one week ago although time travel obviously has not been invented yet? Doesn't that somehow sound contradictory. Or am I missing anything?

I'm not sure why some of your reminders aren't appearing. If these reminders are for recurring events, you won't actually see the reminders until they are scheduled, based on the date/time of the next occurrence.

I guess these missing reminders, very many unfortunately, are (may be among other things) the reminders not being taken during the import. Do not have any idea how to handle this. Do you have any?
Win 10
Lefant

Return to Technical Support