Tasks sync with Google calendar tasks

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Tasks sync with Google calendar tasks

Postby fifer43 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:40 pm

For a variety of reasons, I had to create a new Google account. This meant a fair bit of effort to get VueMinder to sync with the new account in Google calendar, but I did eventually manage to get it to work - sort of.
The problem now is that I cannot get my task list in VueMinder to sync with Google calendar tasks. If I set the sync property to "Sync with Google calendar", my task list vanishes in VueMinder. So it seems that the empty task list in Google calendar is syncing to VueMinder, but not the reverse. I tried exporting my task list in VM (first as a csv file then as an ics file), and importing these into Google calendar, but the import failed. The error message with the csv file was "unable to read the file" (or something similar); with the ics file, the message simply said "imported zero events". I did open the csv file in Excel and all my tasks are there.
When I tried to sync with Google calendar, the correct new Google account did show up, so the problem is not that I am trying to sync with the previous account.
fifer43

Re: Tasks sync with Google calendar tasks

Postby VueSoft » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:36 pm

If I set the sync property to "Sync with Google calendar", my task list vanishes in VueMinder.

I have no idea why that would happen. I've been unable to duplicate the problem.

I tried exporting my task list in VM (first as a csv file then as an ics file), and importing these into Google calendar, but the import failed.

Google does not support importing tasks from CSV or ICS files. You can only import events.

Please try these steps:
1. In VueMinder, export your tasks to an ICS file using the "File -> Export -> Export Tasks" menu command.
2. After exporting the tasks, right-click the task calendar and select "Delete Calendar".
3. Click the "File -> Add Calendar -> Add Google Tasks" menu command.
4. Select your new account (assuming you're using version 2019.01) and then add the Google task list (calendar) you'd like to sync with VueMinder.
5. Click the "File -> Import -> Import Tasks" menu command to import the ICS file that was exported in step 1. Make sure to import into the task calendar that is synced.
6. After importing, right-click the task calendar's name and select "Sync Calendar". The imported tasks should upload to your Google account.
7. On the Google Calendar webpage, make sure you have selected the same task list that is configured to sync with VueMinder. Google supports multiple task lists. You might be looking at the wrong task list and thinking that VueMinder isn't uploading your tasks, when it actually is.

Please let me know if that doesn't fix it.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby fifer43 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:02 am

I followed your steps exactly, but didn't solve my problem.
As soon as I sync the Tasks calendar after going through all the steps, all of my tasks disappear from VueMinder and do not appear in Google calendar. As an experiment, I created a test task in Google calendar. On syncing my tasks calendar in VueMinder, that task appeared in VueMinder! So sync is working correctly - it is just my Tasks calendar in VueMinder that misbehaves.
I did check that I am trying to sync to the correct calendar in Google calendar.
As an observation, I noticed that my previous tasks calendar was part of My Tasks. When I went through all the steps you listed, the new tasks calendar was just listed ad a calendar under My Calendars. Should that matter?
Can I send anything to you to check - my Tasks.ics file for instance?
fifer43

Postby VueSoft » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:25 pm

Thank you for the information. For whatever reason, I haven't had any luck duplicating the problem. I haven't had any other reports of this behavior, so either nobody else is syncing tasks with Google, or there's something different about your task calendar or Google account which is causing the problem (and what that might be, I have no idea).

Could you email your exported tasks calendar to support@vueminder.com? It's a long shot, but maybe I can use that file to duplicate the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support