Import Events and Calendar Name

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Import Events and Calendar Name

Postby Bilbo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:28 pm

On the Destination Calendar for imported events. Pleeeease change the default away from "Create a new calendar (with an unusable name)"! Wishing for a default existing calendar, pre-selected by the user, to receive the added events. Not quite understanding the use case for creating a new calendar for *one* imported event. For more than one event, it could make sense, but still not convinced that a new calendar *by default* is the right way to go. I want a quick and easy way to automatically add events to my base calendar from external apps, websites, email messages, etc. The unnecessary default 'new calendar' totally gets in the way of that. I know the .ICS file has the X-WR-CALNAME: field, but really, what website that's exporting events is going to know what calendar I want the event added to? So, maybe a default X-WR-CALNAME override on imports?

This goes especially when the Import is launched from a right-click on an existing calendar. That user-selected calendar should for sure be the default, not whatever is in the import source.

Checked the version history for Pro, did not see anything about this since version 2016.02.

Thanks again for a great product and service!
Bilbo

Re: Import Events and Calendar Name

Postby VueSoft » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi Bilbo, thank you for the feedback. If the ICS file doesn't contain a calendar name (e.g. the X-WR-CALNAME field is missing), the destination calendar should default to whichever calendar is selected (has the black arrow next to its name) in the calendar list before the import was commanded.

If you're seeing some weird random calendar name as the destination calendar, this isn't being generated by VueMinder. It sounds like the calendar name might be somewhere in the ICS file. Could you try opening the ICS file in Notepad and search for the calendar name you're seeing as the default when importing into VueMinder? Is it in the X-WR-CALNAME field?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Bilbo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:21 pm

Yes, that's what I intended to say - the useless default calendar name is coming from the X-WR-CALNAME field in the ICS file. The correct default is used when the file has no such field. Someone could write an ICS pre-processor to strip or change that field's value before VM sees the file. That would handle ICS files launched from the shell or browser. Aside: does VM have any plugins, such as might deal with this kind of thing?
Bilbo

Postby VueSoft » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:29 pm

Hi Bilbo, thank you for the clarification. VueMinder will currently use the calendar name specified in the ICS file. I'll add an option to override this behavior and I'll post a reply when this improvement is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:14 pm

Version 2019.01 is now available. This version will use the currently selected calendar as the default when importing, rather than generating a new calendar by default. To update, click the "Help -> Check for Updates" menu command.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions