How to get here...
- Double click an empty area in the
calendar view, while a
note calendar is active in the
Calendar List, to create
a new note.
- Double-click an existing note to open
- Right-click the calendar
view and select the "New Note" command from the popup
menu, or the "Open Note" command if a note is clicked.
- Create a new note using the "New -> Note"
command on the File menu,
or press Ctrl+Shift+N.
- Create a new note for a contact via the right-click
menu in the Contact List
or the toolbar in the
- Create a new note link via the
Links tab in the various
- Click the title of a note in the Details pane..
- Open a linked note from the Links tab in the
Event Editor, or
The Note Editor enables you to create new notes or modify
existing ones. Notes are simple free-form text blocks that can
be optionally pinned to dates. These can contain anything you'd
like, such as recipes, shopping lists, journal entries, daily
devotions, or anything else you'd like to keep track of, and
that doesn't make sense to be defined as an event or task. A
full-featured WYSIWYG editor is used to enter the content of
notes, which can include formatted text, links to files or web
pages, pictures, and more. There's also no limit to the length
of a note. When using the Ultimate version, custom data fields
can be defined on the Custom tab to contain any data that
doesn't fit well within a note's text description.
The calendar and category associated with the note are displayed at the top of the
Note Editor window.
- The note will belong to the specified calendar.
- Clicking the drop-down arrow will display a list of all
- You can type a different calendar name to add the note
to a new calendar. The note calendar will be created after
closing the Note Editor window.
- When opening an existing note, you can use the Calendar
field to reassign the note to a different calendar.
- Notes can be associated with zero or more categories.
- To associate categories, place checkmarks in the desired
categories, accessed from the Category drop-down list.
- You can also create, delete, or rename categories by
clicking the "..." button. This will open the
Category Editor window.
A toolbar appears at the top of the Note Editor,
providing a number of commands.
From left, to right, the commands are defined below:
- Save And Close - Saves the note and closes the
editor window. The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+S.
- Save - Saves the note but leaves the editor window
- Save and New Note - Saves the note and creates a
new note in the same editor window. The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+N.
- Delete - Deletes the note and closes the editor
window. The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+D.
- Print - Prints the note. The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+P.
- Email - Initiates a new email using your default
email program. The body of the email is initialized from
the current note. The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+E.
- Previous/Next Note - Saves the current note and
opens the previous or next note in the same editor
window. The next or previous note is found by using the
pinned date of the current note and searching
backward or forward in time until another note is
found. The keyboard shortcuts are Alt+UpArrow and Alt+DownArrow.
- Close - Closes the editor window. If there are
unsaved changes, a message will appear asking if those
changes should be saved first. The keyboard shortcut is Alt+F4.
- Help - Displays this documentation. The keyboard shortcut is F1.
Pinning Notes to Dates
Notes can be optionally pinned to dates. When pinned to a
date, the note will be visible in the
Calendar View, unless the
View menu option "Show Notes in
Calendar" is disabled. When unchecked, the note will only be
visible in the Notes List. To pin a note to a date, check the "Pin to date" box at the
bottom of Note tab in the Note Editor, and then either type in a date or
select a date from the drop-down button.
The note text can be entered on the Note tab using
a full-featured WYSIWYG editor.
- This text will appear
in the Details Pane when the
note is selected, as well as the note's tooltip when hovering
the mouse over the note in the Calendar View.
- If the note contains links to web
pages or files, those links will be clickable in the
Details Pane. You can also hold
the Ctrl key while clicking a link in the note editor to
open the link.
- The editor also supports drag-and-drop, so you
can drag files or pictures from Windows Explorer into the
Custom Data (Ultimate Version Only)
VueMinder Ultimate provides the ability to define custom
data fields for notes via the Custom tab of the Note
Editor. Custom data can also be imported or exported, and
will sync over a local network when using
Server. See the Custom Data
documenation for more information.
Any number of file can be attached to the note (as
links), using the Files tab. The files will
in the Details Pane when the
note is selected. Files can be opened from the Files tab by
double-clicking or using the Open command on the toolbar and
right-click context menu. More information can be found
Notes can be linked with other notes, tasks, events, or
contacts by using the Links tab.
When a link is created, it becomes 2-directional, meaning a
backlink to the note will be automatically added to the
linked item. Linked item details will be shown on the Links
tab. For example, when a note is linked to a contact, the
Links tab will show the associated contact's email address
and phone number. More information can be found
The appearance tab enables an appearance to be specified for
the note. This appearance will override any associated
calendar or category appearance. To reset
a customized appearance, click the "Reset Appearance" button, or
uncheck the appearance override checkbox. More information can
be found here.