How to get here...
- The Appearance Toolbar defaults to appearing at the
top of the Main Window.
- If you don't see it, click the "Appearance Toolbar"
option on the View menu.
The Appearance Toolbar enables the display of calendars, events,
notes, categories, priority types, and locations to be customized. The fill color, gradient pattern, and font may be modified to visually
distinguish between these elements. The toolbar can also be used
to assign background colors or images to dates selected in the
- The effect of changing an appearance from the Appearance
Toolbar will depend on the "Color Events Using" selection on the
View menu. For example, when coloring events based on category,
selecting new colors from the Appearance Toolbar will update the
selected category appearance.
- The Calendar Properties window can also be used to change
the calendar appearance.
- The Appearance tab on
the Event Editor and Note Editor windows can also be used to change
an item's appearance.
- The Appearance Toolbar will be disabled when a task is
selected, since task appearances are based on whether a task
is overdue, completed, or upcoming. Task appearances can
only be specified in the
- The Category Editor, Priority
Editor, and Location
Editor windows, accessed from the
Tools menu, can be used to
change appearances of the respective item types.
- You can also modify individual event appearances if the
corresponding option has been enabled in the
By default, all events will share the same appearance, but this
can be overridden.
- To change the appearance of an item, first select
it. Calendars can be selected by clicking the calendar
name in the Calendar List.
Events and notes can be selected by clicking on them in the
Calendar View. Categories, priorities,
and locations can be selected from the respective tabs in the
Calendar Items area of the main
window. After a
selection has been made, the associated appearance can be modified by
adjusting the controls on the Appearance Toolbar. These
controls are described in more detail below.
- Date backgrounds can be colors or images. The images can
come from your local computer, network, or internet.
A button is provided on the Appearance Toolbar for
setting or clearing day backgrounds in the
Month View. Backgrounds can be
set to solid colors or images. The images can be selected
from the local drive, network, or internet. For more
information, see the Day
Backgrounds topic. An example Month view, where several
images have been set, is shown below.
Default Appearance Toolbar Settings
Each time a new calendar is created, a random pre-generated default
appearance is applied to it. For example, a calendar
the following appearance toolbar settings:
An event created using these appearance settings will look
like the example below:
There are 114 distinctive pre-generated appearances. Each
time a new calendar is created, its default appearance will be
randomly assigned to one of the pre-generated appearances. The
example below shows a few of the pre-generated appearances, which can
be modified using the Appearance Toolbar.
Appearance Toolbar Controls
An appearance can be modified
following 14 items on the Appearance Toolbar:
1. Font Name and Size
- The font can be selected from a drop down list of all fonts that are installed on the system.
- The currently selected font will be at the top of the list.
- The font size can also be selected from a drop-down list.
- The available sizes range from 5 (very small) to 30
2. Font Color
- The font color can be selected from a drop down list of
- If a custom color is desired, the "More Colors..."
option can be selected from the list. This will cause a
standard color dialog to be displayed where a custom color
can be defined.
3. Font Style - Bold
- The font bold style can be toggled by
clicking the bold (B) button.
4. Font Style - Italic
- The font italic style can be toggled by
clicking the italic (I) button.
5. Font Style - Underline
- The font underline style can
be toggled by clicking the underline (U)
6. Left Align
- Text content will be aligned to the left when this
button is selected.
- Text content will be cenrtered when this button is
8. Right Align
- Text content will be aligned to the right when this
button is selected.
9. Primary Background Color
- The primary background color can be specified using the drop-down.
- This color will be used in conjunction with the
secondary background color and background gradient style to fill the event
blocks that are shown in the
Calendar View and
10. Border Color / Secondary Background Color
- The secondary background color can be specified the drop-down.
- The selected color will also be used as the border
11. Background Gradient Style
- A gradient style can be specified from the drop-down
- The control shows the currently selected background
colors, as well as the font options, to give a visual
indication of what each gradient style will look like.
- Set the gradient style to "None" to have a solid
12. Day Background
- Background colors or images can be specified for
dates selected in the Month
- Images can come from a local drive, network location, or the internet.
- When the Day Background button is clicked on the
Appearance Toolbar, a menu of commands will appear for
setting or clearing date backgrounds.