User account corrupted, unable to access VueMinder

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

User account corrupted, unable to access VueMinder

Postby VickiB » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:59 pm

I have had a problem which ultimately caused corruption to my user account on my computer. Microsoft tech has created a new user account and copied over my files and folders, etc. The VueMinder application can no longer open up in startup. The error message opens up instead. When I try to open the application by using the shortcut, I get the error message and am forced to close the application. As I cannot download the image directly from my computer, I hand typed what it says below:

VueMinder Error (not responding)

Sorry. VueMinder has encountered an unexpected error:

VueMinder 2017.04 (Registered)
Language: en

The type initializer for '<Module>' threw an exception.
VueMinder
at Vuesoft Applications.Vueminder.FormReminders.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
at System.ComponentModel.Component.Finalize()

I am concerned. Am I going to have to do a complete uninstall and the a reinstall of the program onto my computer for the new user account? If I do, I will lose all of my saved events. I will then have to completely reset up the calendar all over again. This is over three months worth of saved entries.

I believe this is all due to Norton 360. It started with it removing my Vueminder exe file so that I could not access my VueMinder app. I had the Norton tech recover the missing exe file from Norton Erase and put it back my computer. Vueminder was not the only app affected. It also kept removing my Auslogics Disk Defrag Free app. Every time Norton ran a scan it would remove these two items. Forcing me to re-download my Disk Defrag over and over again. I finally Uninstalled Norton 360, but in the aftermath, it must have corrupted my user account some how. The Norton technician couldn't even stop the Norton scan from running. I will not be using Norton 360 in my new user account. I will be using the appropriate Windows products instead. They don't seem to have an issue with your product or Auslogics.

I can do nothing regarding Vueminder until I can finally start using my new user account. Do you have any suggestions on how I can protect myself in the future by being able to keep a backup of my saved events on my VueMinder Calendar on my hard drive. Thank God, this didn't happened to me after I had used my Calendar for well over a year. Instead of losing three months worth of entries I would be losing well over 12 months worth, which would have to be completely redone.

Please advise.

Vickie
VickiB

Re: User account corrupted, unable to access VueMinder

Postby VueSoft » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi VickiB, it sounds like the VueMinder installation is corrupted. To fix the problem, use the Control Panel to uninstall VueMinder (this won’t remove any data). Reboot after uninstalling. Next, download and reinstall using the link below:
http://www.vueminder.com/Download.aspx

VueMinder will default to saving and backing up its data under your user profile. If you didn't change the default settings and you've switched to a different user profile, you might not see any data in VueMinder. If that's the case, click the "File -> Restore Data" menu command. Next, click the Browse button and navigate to the folder where VueMinder was configured to save automatic backups. If you didn’t change the backup location, there should be some backup files under “C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\VueSoft\VueMinder\Backup”, where "xxx" is the name of your previous user profile. Note, the AppData folder is hidden, so you’ll need to configure Windows Explorer to show hidden folders if you don’t see the folder. After browsing to that folder, select the most recent backup file and then click the Open button.

VueMinder provides an automatic backup feature. I'd highly recommend configuring VueMinder to backup your data to a location other than your primary drive (such as a secondary hard drive or a cloud drive folder like Dropbox or OneDrive). You can change the location where automatic backups are saved by clicking the "File -> Backup Data" menu command. See the documentation linked below for more details:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... ackup.html

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VickiB » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Dear Dan:

Thank you for your advice.

I saved the licensed original Vueminder Pro Setup so I was able to download the correct version.

The little black calendar still has day numbers missing on it for October. I think Norton removing the executable file may have caused this. When I go over to November, all the numbers are there. I am not having VueMinder load at start up.

I tried backing up my calendar for today, 28th, but it couldn't create a folder. I got an error message: Your program data location of “C:\Users\Quazer9\AppData\Local\VueSoft\VueMinder\” could not be accessed.

I manually created a folder in My Documents entitled VueMinder Pro Backup and moved the back up "page" into it that had been saved in My Documents folder. My new User Account name is VickiB. I don't know how to correct this in VueMinder itself.

I will let you know if I continue to have problems with my VueMinder in my new User Account.

Vickie
VickiB

Postby VueSoft » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi Vicki, if VueMinder is unable to backup to the specified folder (because it no longer exists or you don't have access), you can change the backup location. Click the "File -> Backup Data" menu command. At the top of the "Backup Data" window, there's a "To folder" field. Click the "..." button on the right-side of that field and then select a valid folder (preferably on a second drive or cloud drive).
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VickiB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:01 pm

It appears my original user account is okay. Every other prrogram works find on it. Maybe it never was. The one thing that is still corrupted is my Vueminder Pro. Once that executable file was removed by Norton 360 and then replaced by the Norton Technician. The little black calendar that is always visible on the desktop is missing some of the white daily numbers. When I installed VueMinder Pro using the same "licensed setup" download that I used on my original Quazer9 user account the black calendar was not missing any daily numbers. That new user account has been removed. I am now using my original user account. I decided to uninstall and the re-install VueMinder Pro using the download licensed setup and when I did my black desktop calendar is still missing numbers for the current month. Even if you switch to another month there are number missing there as well.

Can you please send me a fresh link with a setup download so that I can try using that to re-install with instead of the original one I have now?

What I don't understand is why the same licensed setup download worked perfectly on the "new" user account, and won't do the same on my original user account.

Please help.
VickiB

Postby VueSoft » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:35 pm

Hi VickiB, please uninstall VueMinder using the "Uninstall a program" area of the Control Panel. After uninstalling, reinstall using the link below:
http://www.vueminder.com/download/VueMi ... _Setup.exe

If that doesn’t solve it, please make sure you have .NET Framework 4.7 installed. You can download it using the link below:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=55170

If you still see the problem after installing .NET Framework 4.7, there might be a problem with the program data file. You can use the utility linked below to completely reset the data.
http://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip

After resetting the data and restarting VueMinder, use the “Restore Data” command on the File menu to restore from a backup.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VickiB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:22 am

Dear Dan:

I have done everything you asked including trying to repair the application using WINRAR.

This is the information that I was given after the repair function was performed:

---> ???

Build C:\Users\Quazer9\Downloads\fixed.VueMinder_Pro_Setup.exe
Searching for recovery record
---> recovery record not found
Searching for recovery record
---> recovery record not found
Build C:\Users\Quazer9\Downloads\rebuilt.VueMinder_Pro_Setup.rar
Done

C:\Users\Quazer9\Downloads\VueMinder_Pro_Setup.exe: Corrupt header is found
C:\Users\Quazer9\Downloads\VueMinder_Pro_Setup.exe: Unexpected end of archive
C:\Users\Quazer9\Downloads\VueMinder_Pro_Setup.exe: Corrupt header is found
C:\Users\Quazer9\Downloads\VueMinder_Pro_Setup.exe: No files repaired

I definitely know this was caused by that crappy Norton 360 removing the executable file from the program on this user account. VueMinder Pro worked fine on the new user account, including the black desktop calendar which had all its numbers. I had Microsoft Technician remove that user account. Does this mean I am going to have to go through calling Microsoft again, and having them move all my pertinent files over to another new user account to solve this problem? That would be a bummer, because when copying my files over it duplicated a lot of them taking up even more of my hard disk space.

I don't know where to go from here. Am I going to have to accept a defective black desktop calendar. The rest of the application seems to work fine. It's very annoying to see that black calendar with the "missing teeth" every day when I am using my computer.

Very frustrated......

Vickie
VickiB

Postby VickiB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:43 pm

I didn't realize the Microsoft Techinian had put a trial version of VueMinder Pro on the other user "Administrator" account. I logged in to check on something else and discovered it. I went ahead and clicked on it. It does work perfectly. The little black calendar has no numbers missing. I went ahead and closed out of it and logged out of that account. I logged into my Original user account and Vueminder Pro's little black calendar now has all the white numbers showing on it again. Apparently opening the program up on the other (new) user account corrected the corruption issue. I pray it stays this way.

I will have to purchase another license to keep that one when it ends in 44 days, YIKE!. Is there any way around this? I was given a Protection Code for the licensed VueMinder Pro that I have activated in my Original user account. I went ahead and deleted in my licensed setup download considering it corrupted. I do have it backed up on a DVD-R., but I am afraid to use it. I may need to keep the other one active to keep this problem from cropping up. I have no Files or Folders copied over to the Admin user account. I also don't have a backup to restore my data on the Administrator user account. I will have to completely redo it.

What do I need to do? Please advise.
VickiB

Postby VickiB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:59 pm

I was wrong, my VueMinder Pro on my original user account is still corrupted.

I found that out when I made a change to an event on my calendar and then minimized it again. The "missing teeth" are there again on the small black calendar. I am sorry I wrote the message above. Please forgive me. I still need help in resolving this problem.
VickiB

Postby VickiB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:31 pm

Dear Dan:

I decided to get rid of the little black calendar and turned it off unchecking the arrow for the "mini calendar" feature in "View." I really don't need it. I can access the full sized calendar through my task bar in the "hidden items" at anytime." I really didn't care for it blocking out my desktop picture. I would have turned it off awhile ago if I had known how to. If I had, I might not have ever known that there was a problem with my program.

As long as the rest of VueMinder Pro continues to function correctly, and the only thing affected is the "mini calendar," I will be okay.

Thanks for your kindness and patience with me.

Vickie
VickiB

Next

Return to Technical Support