Text Scaling Regressed

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Text Scaling Regressed

Postby NormC » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:04 am

Hi Dan,

I'm sorry to report that with the new release that supports text scaling, many parts of the VueMinder main screen are now displayed using too large a font. The text scaling option does not affect these parts of the display. I display VueMinder as full screen.

For individual calendars I have adjusted the font size down to 7 points, which almost makes them as readable as they were in the previous release.

My setup: a 27" monitor with screen resolution set to it's recommended value of 2560x1440. I have Custom DPI set at 150%.. this worked well for almost all applications, including the previous release of VueMinder.

VueMinder with text scaling.jpg
the blue calendar is set to 7 points.
VueMinder with text scaling.jpg (165.98 KiB) Viewed 4062 times

task calendar properties.jpg
properties display for a calendar
task calendar properties.jpg (131.23 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
NormC

Re: Text Scaling Regressed

Postby NormC » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Dan, I originally found that there was no difference between Text Scaling enabled and disabled when only VueMinder was shutdown and restarted.

However, when Windows is restarted, Text Scaling does result in smaller fonts. see below
text scaling after Windows restart.jpg
text scaling enabled and Windows restarted.
text scaling after Windows restart.jpg (153.71 KiB) Viewed 4052 times

I was able to revert the calendar properties to a font size of 9. Now the issue on the main window is confined to the two small calendars on the left, truncated text for the list of calendars, and the text for Day, Week , Month, Year, Timeline, Today and Settings.

There was no change to the Task Calendar Properties window after reboot.

Many thanks for your support!
NormC

Postby VueSoft » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi NormC, thank you for the information. It appears this is a Windows 7 problem. I'm not seeing this behavior in Windows 10. I'll investigate further and I'll post a reply when a correction is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby NormC » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks, Dan. Yes - I am running Windows 7. Too many issues when I attempted to move to Windows 10.
NormC

Postby A Room with a Vue » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Has this been resolved? I am experiencing very similar issues after recently getting a new monitor (25" with resolution of 2560x1440). I am also running W7 (Pro) and changed my DPI setting from 125% to 150%. Not only are the fonts large and a bit fuzzy, many words are truncated (both in the calendar names, the menu options, and even some of the submenu text. When I choose fullscreen mode for VM, the window expands completely below the taskbar (instead of stopping at the top edge of the taskbar as it did with my previous monitor).

I tried changing the screen resolution to a couple of lower res settings, and the problem remained. Changing my DPI back to 125% did fix the problem with VueMinder, but if made many of my other programs hard to read.

This type of strange display with the new monitor is not occurring with my other applications. Any suggestions?
============================================================
CURRENT CONFIG: VueMinder Ultimate USB 2018.02, Windows 7 Pro / 64
A Room with a Vue = ARWAV (easier to type :!:)
A Room with a Vue

Postby VueSoft » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:45 pm

Have you tried toggling the "Enable text scaling" setting in the Program Options (accessed from the Options menu)?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby A Room with a Vue » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:48 pm

VueSoft wrote:Have you tried toggling the "Enable text scaling" setting in the Program Options (accessed from the Options menu)?

Yes, and when I have my Windows DPI settings at 150% all the VM text is too large (and much of it is truncated). This happens regardless of whether the "Enable text scaling" is checked or not. When the DPI is 125% the VM text is quite small (but at least it doesn't take over the entire screen).

At 150% DPI the program is pretty useless, since it behaves erratically (sometimes I see duplicate menus - see lower attached image). Also note the shortened titles for "Day", Week", "Month", etc. The text within VM is just too big to be useful! And in the upper image, much of the menu text is cropped (both horizontally and vertically) .

I'm willing to test other things, but realize that I typically restart my computer about once every 2-3 days, because I'm needing to be continually running while I'm working, so I don't have time to restart multiple times a day (or even once a day). And I rarely just log off, almost always a restart, so I'm not going to be able to give you immediate feedback.

If you're willing to wait several days for the next report, is there anything else I can try?
Attachments
VM Task Calendar Properties.png
Note all the cropped text within the properties menu.
VM Task Calendar Properties.png (194.66 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
VMUU Double Menus.png
Double Menus and Cropped Text
VMUU Double Menus.png (150.29 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
CURRENT CONFIG: VueMinder Ultimate USB 2018.02, Windows 7 Pro / 64
A Room with a Vue = ARWAV (easier to type :!:)
A Room with a Vue

Postby VueSoft » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Thank you for the information. I'll post a reply when a correction is available.

For other people browsing this thread, the problem is when running on Windows 7 with a high-resolution display. It displays correctly on Windows 10.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support