Computer died. Hard drive works. Is there a backup file?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Computer died. Hard drive works. Is there a backup file?

Postby Gogo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:26 pm

I apologize - I'm using basic VueMinder - which I think is great.
I hope you don't mind a quick question -

My computer died. Removed harddrive and can recover data.

Looked in VueMinder Program File because I assume the backup file is in there but can't find it.

Is there a backup file somewhere on my hard drive that I can put in my new VueMinder program files to restore my calendar entries?

Thank you very much.
Gogo

Re: Computer died. Hard drive works. Is there a backup file?

Postby VueSoft » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:28 am

Hi Gogo, to recover your data, please go to the File menu and click the “Restore Data” command. Hopefully you’ll see a list of previous backups. Choose the most recent one (that indicates events are present) and click the Restore button.

If you don’t see any backup checkpoints, try searching your hard drive for files having a “vbackup” extension, or browse to the “Backups” subfolder of VueMinder’s private data folder. The path can be found in the Program Options window. You should see some backup files in that folder, unless you disabled automatic backups. Click the “Browse” button in the Restore Data window to open a vbackup file.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Gogo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi Dan,

Thank you for being kind enough to help.

I didn't express myself well - the computer is dead - it will not load Windows so I cannot get into the VueMinder app that was on the laptop (Windows 7).

I removed the hard drive from that computer and can extract data only from it.

I don't see a VueSoft/VueMinder folder in "Program Files".

In "Program Files (x86)" there is 1 VueSoft folder. Inside it is 1 VueMinder folder.

Unfortunately it is almost all .dll and language.tsv files.
Also:
Midnight.isl
VueMinder.exe.config
VueMinder.isl

"...or browse to the “Backups” subfolder of VueMinder’s private data folder. The path can be found in the Program Options window. You should see some backup files in that folder, unless you disabled automatic backups. Click the “Browse” button in the Restore Data window to open a vbackup file."

As mentioned, I can no longer go into the VueMinder app that was on the computer.
Wouldn't the backup files you mentioned be stored somewhere on my computer's hard drive? If so, where?

Are there any other places on my hard drive where VueMinder files would be stored, other than the one I mention above that is in "Program Files (x86)"? Or could there be more VueMinder Files in one of my Program Files folders under a different name?

I didn't see any VueMinder folders in My Documents.
Would VueMinder backup files be under any other name anywhere else on the hard drive?

I definitely did not have backups turned off. Wouldn't the backup files be somewhere on the hard drive that was in the laptop?

Thank you very much.
Gogo

Postby VueSoft » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:51 am

The default path to the backup folder on Windows 7 or later is "\Users\YourLoginName\AppData\Local\VueSoft\VueMinder\Backup". Note, this folder is hidden. You'll need to configure File Explorer to show hidden folders. If you don't see this folder, then maybe you changed the backup location. In that case, try searching your entire old hard drive for files that have a ".vbackup" extension.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Gogo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:16 am

Dan - You are fantastic.

Mission accomplished. Now I don't have to search my memory for scheduled tasks.

Uh oh - forgot to renew the library books...
Gogo

Return to Technical Support