ICS sync.

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

ICS sync.

Postby GaryBalliet » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:03 am

So. I pull a when I work ics feed - one way.

Then I make changes in my workstation - which has a mysql backend that my big screen monitor pulls from (another Vueminder installation). How do I have changes that I make to my ics feed - rename/colours, etc, show up on my other computer?

Is this even possible with vueminder?
GaryBalliet

Re: ICS sync.

Postby VueSoft » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:35 am

Hi Gary, you can sync calendars 2-way through MySQL Server. Please see the documentation linked below and let me know if you have any other questions.
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby GaryBalliet » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:54 pm

I can look at the ics calendar - in properties - but I can't share it and sync it. I can click either subscribe or share and get the x in the box. But not both.
GaryBalliet

Postby VueSoft » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:26 am

I apologize for not being more clear. Instead of syncing through an iCalendar file, sync through MySQL Server. On the "Sync" tab of the Calendar Properties, check the box labeled "Sync with VueMinder on other computers". The "Subscribe" box will become unchecked because you can't subscribe to a calendar which is also synced with MySQL Server at the same time. If you just want to keep the calendar in sync between multiple computers, then syncing through MySQL Server should be all you need.

If you really must sync through an ICS file for some reason, then check the box labeled "Sync with file or URL (2-way)".
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby GaryBalliet » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:52 pm

Basically, I want to pull an ics feed. Rename some parts of it, change the colors of others. Have it propogate to the other screens. I don't care if two way. I can't modify the ics via the ics. Only via http. Does this do that?
GaryBalliet

Postby VueSoft » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:46 am

Hi Gary, if you need to be able to modify the calendar, it has to be configured to sync 2-way. A subscription will be read-only. Instead of subscribing to the ICS file, check the box labeled "Sync with file or URL (2-way)" on the Sync tab of the Calendar Properties. Any changes you make to the calendar, such as renaming events or changing colors, will sync back to the ICS file and appear on other VueMinder installations that are also configured to sync 2-way with the same ICS file.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby GaryBalliet » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:36 pm

I have been unclear. This doesn't do what I need.

I have an ics feed I cannot change (from whenIwork). It pushes ics updates to employees and their app automatically puts it into their calendars.

Yet I want to modify how that feed looks locally on a large screen.

Is it possible, with vueminder - to download that feed, change the appearance and some of the words, and have that displayed on another vueminder installation? Transparently? ie not manually?

TLDR - Can I copy a one way ics feed to a local calendar - and then modify that (automatically?)
GaryBalliet

Postby VueSoft » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:49 pm

Hi Gary, there's no mechanism to modify events that are in a calendar subscription because any changes that are made would be overwritten the next time the subscription updates. By design, the subscribed calendar will always exactly match the remote calendar.

You could work around this limitation by following these steps:
1. After the subscribed calendar is updated, export the calendar to an ICS file.
2. Import the ICS file into a NEW calendar, using the "File -> Import -> Import Events" menu command. The imported calendar will be local to VueMinder and can be edited.
3. Modify the events in the imported calendar however you'd like.
4. Export the modified calendar to an ICS file.
5. On your other computer, import the ICS file that was exported in step 4.

Does that help, or have I still misunderstood what you're attempting to do?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby GaryBalliet » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:54 am

That's great - but can it be automated?

My clients are not 'computer people'. Just looking for a software that will do what they need.

There should be a way to update the mysql itself, no? Pull the tables from one table or database, and load them into another? The question is whether it is possible from the gui, and how to do on a schedule - and have the new events not over-right the old ones.
GaryBalliet

Postby VueSoft » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:07 am

Hi Gary, instead of importing into a new calendar each time, you could create a shared calendar that is synced through MySQL Server, and import the modified ICS file into the shared calendar. The updates you make will automatically appear on the other computers.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Next

Return to Technical Support