Sync with Outlook.com calendar?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Sync with Outlook.com calendar?

Postby larryw » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:18 pm

I'd like to confirm that when VM Pro talks about syncing with Outlook it's referentce to installed Outlook program? I ask because I thought I'd try syncing a newly crated calendar to outlook.com calendar but nothing happened.
larryw

Re: Sync with Outlook.com calendar?

Postby VueSoft » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi larryw, VueMinder can sync 2-way with calendars that are in a local installation of Outlook.

Outlook.com is a renamed version of Windows Live Calendar or Hotmail Calendar. It's not the same thing as a local Outlook installation - which can do way more than Outlook.com, is faster, and better in almost every regard.

In any case, you can sync VueMinder 1-way with your Outlook.com calendar. Here’s how:

1. Log into Outlook.com in your web browser.
2. Switch to the calendar view on the Outlook.com webpage by clicking the button in the upper-left corner.
3. Click the settings button in the upper-right corner on the Outlook.com webpage (the button looks like a gear).
4. Select “Options” from the drop-down menu.
5. Click “Publish calendar” on the left side of the Options page.
6. Under “Show availability, titles, and location”, click the button to enable publishing. If your calendar is already published, you’ll see an ICS link and can skip this step.
7. Copy the ICS link.
8. In VueMinder, click “File -> Add Calendar -> Add Calendar Subscription”.
9. Paste the link in the “Location” field.
10. Click OK. Depending on how many events your calendar contains, it might take a few minutes for the events to appear in VueMinder.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby chota300 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:20 pm

I am sure this worked in the past, but has anyone done this successfully in the last 3 weeks or so?
I get an HTTP ERROR 403 when I try it, either within VM or in any browser - IE, Firefox, Chrome.
( I actually get no specific error in VM, just Error at the bottom of the calendar. )
I am sure this is a MS problem, but they have not helped me download the MS ICS file.
VM TS suggested this as an alternative to downloading/saving the ICS file, but this is really no different since the ICS file cannot be accessed.
I am hoping someone here has found a specific combo that still works.
Note that my online calendar is on Outlook.Live.Com ( check the URL ).
This is the only place my old calendar exists; I belive MS moved it from Calendar.Live.Com.

Anyway, please reply only if you have done this successfully in the last 3 weeks,
and then specify exactly what browser/etc you used.
I should note that I am on Win7 64-bit with all MS updates applied.

Thank you.
chota300

Postby VueSoft » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:13 am

Hi chota300, welcome to the forums. I'm not sure if this will help you, but I followed the same steps provided above to copy the calendar URL and create a new subscription to the calendar in VueMinder. It worked fine. I didn't see any 403 errors and all events downloaded as expected. I didn't have to do anything special.

The 403 error means access is forbidden or restricted. Has your calendar URL changed? Have you verified the calendar URL that VueMinder is attempting to subscribe to is still the correct URL? Maybe try following the exact steps provided above to see if it works for you. If you still get a 403 error, then you'll probably need to contact Microsoft for support because there's nothing I can do in VueMinder to fix it.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby chota300 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:52 am

Thank you very much again.
I am very sure that I followed the steps correctly and used the correct URL.
And as I noted I get errors in browsers when attempting to access the URL of the ICS file.
I have received answers from MS Community, but apparently only one person actually tried the ICS create/download procedure again, and he also received a 403 error. Everyone else in MS Community seemed to reply with old answers that "should" work.
So your successful retest via VM suggests that other settings may be a problem, even though I supply my MS userid/password when I subscribe to the calenday via VM.
Since you have proved that a new subscription still works in VM, I do not think you can help anymore with this specific problem.
I think I will start with a new empty calendar, then import my old events whenever this MS problem is resolved.

I am unable to find any error log in VM though.
If there is none, or no way to enable one, I would suggest that as a new VM feature.

Thanks again & Happy Easter.
chota300

Postby VueSoft » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:58 am

Hi chota300, try unchecking the "Server requires authentication" box in the Calendar Properties of VueMinder. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but the ICS URL doesn't require authentication. Entering a username and password might actually be causing the error.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby chota300 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:24 am

Same 403 error after un-checking that box.
Thanks for trying.
Stop working.
Enjoy your holiday.
chota300

Return to Technical Support