Trial version response time

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Trial version response time

Postby RJS » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:05 am

I am currently trialling VueMinder and I am impressed with the application, except for the response time. When I launch it the response time is acceptable, but over time actions take longer to complete until finally I have to close the session and re-start VueMinder. The increasing slowness is most apparent in the pop-up reminders, where the header information after a time displays “Not Responding”.

I only use the events functionality, with no syncing, organising of group meetings or use of email. Recent calendar data was migrated from Outlook 2003.

The computer has been rebooted and I re-installed VueMinder with no other applications running, this included internet security. I ran the .Net Framework Setup Verification Utility on all Net Framework productions found, including 3.5.1, but no problems were identified. Also, I reset the VueMinder program data using your reset data program. Finally, I briefly visually scanned exported calendar data to check for corrupt data but found none.

My trial version of VueMinder Pro 2016.10 is running on 64-bit Windows 10 Home, version 1607.

I would appreciate any advice you can provide on the issue.
RJS

Re: Trial version response time

Postby VueSoft » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:21 pm

Hi RJS, welcome to the forums. How many events are in your calendar? If you have a lot of events (like 100,000 or more), or if you have a lot of daily recurring events that had reminders dismissed previously, this could impact performance. The "File -> Archive Old Data" menu command might help.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby RJS » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:49 pm

Hi Dan, thank you for your advice. After archiving data, I have 262 tasks according to the Status Bar. One technique I use to manage my time is to time box my entire day, mainly using recurring events. Nearly all my events have reminders set. Does this explain why the response time is slow?
RJS

Postby VueSoft » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:28 pm

Hi RJS, it doesn't sound like you have a lot of events/tasks, so I'm not sure what is causing the slow performance.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby RJS » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:18 pm

Hi Dan, Could there be a memory leak? I have recorded the Task Manager memory reading when VueMinder became unusable and I had to close the session. Over three days this happened eight times, with a mean memory usage of 282MB and a range of 261 to 317MB.
RJS

Postby VueSoft » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi RJS, that memory sounds a little high, but a large part of the memory reported by Task Manager for .NET applications will be what Windows caches, and not what the application is actually using. In any case, I'll run some more tests to see if I can find any memory leaks.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby RJS » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi Dan, Any news on this issue? I have purchased the application, but I am still having the same problem.
RJS

Postby VueSoft » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:13 pm

Hi RJS, I don't have anything to report yet.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby RJS » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:32 am

Hi Dan, A polite reminder that I reported this problem in August 2016, but it was not fixed in the latest update. VueMinder is generally excellent, but I find this bug very frustrating. RJS
RJS

Postby VueSoft » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:52 am

Hi RJS, thank you for the feedback. I haven't forgotten. Fixing this will require a major rewrite of VueMinder, which I'm planning to start working on after I finish some other projects.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support