Using Google calendar to sync

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Using Google calendar to sync

Postby MobyUK » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:14 am

Hi. I understand the idea of using Goggle Calendar as basically a bypass to sync Vueminder on pcs.
However, is there a way of initially importing my existing Vueminder calenders to Google as they have a great number of entries. Otherwise it seems I have to enter evrything into Google calendars before I can sync.
Or am I missing something?
Cheers
Moby
MobyUK

Re: Using Google calendar to sync

Postby VueSoft » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:36 pm

Hi Moby, if you have an existing local calendar in VueMinder that you'd like to add to your Google account, you can do this by opening the Calendar Properties, clicking the Sync tab, and checking the box labeled "Sync with Google Calendar". See the documentation linked below for more details:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... lecalendar

Does that help?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby MobyUK » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:04 am

Hi Dan
Thanks, obvious really I suppose.
One thing though, Google calendar doesn't appear to take notice that an event has been marked as completed in Vueminder. Is there a way to make it do that?
Cheers
Moby
MobyUK

Postby VueSoft » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:22 pm

Unfortunately, Google Calendar has no concept of completed events, so it's not something that you'll be able to see on the Google Calendar webpage or in other (non-VueMinder) apps that sync with Google Calendar.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby MobyUK » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:37 am

Ok Dan. Understood.
I've never had any luck setting up syncing using the SQL approach hence looking at using google.
But, and I think I've asked this before but can't find the reply, as I have my Vueminder calendars on Onedrive, wouldn't Vueminder be in sync on my desktop and laptop?
MobyUK

Postby VueSoft » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:35 pm

If you have VueMinder running on multiple computers and they each sync with the same Google Calendar, then any changes you make on one computer will automatically appear on the other computers. This includes changes to data fields that you can't see on the Google Calendar webpage, such as the event priority.

However, the one exception is that event completion statuses won't sync. This is by design, since multiple users could be syncing with the same calendar, and the default behavior is to not show reminders that for events that have been completed. In other words, if the reminder is dismissed by one user, other users wouldn't see the reminder. I'm planning to add an option to override that behavior.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby MobyUK » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:22 am

Sorry Dan. I wasn't talking about Google Calendar. I mean, if I just run Vueminder on two computers but the actual calendars are on Onedrive. wouldn't that work?
MobyUK

Postby VueSoft » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:27 am

Yes, if you're running the USB version from OneDrive, then you'll see the same data (and completion status) on each computer. However, you'll need to take care to not run simultaneously from multiple computers. Otherwise, changes made on one computer will overwrite changes made on another.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby MobyUK » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:51 am

Well, I bought the USB version and put it in Onedrive. I went through the process of transferring data from my desktop version.
However, the USB version hasn't imported my email details, or the same "theme/colour settings as in the desktop version. Is this normal?
It did however import the completed status which is the main thing.
MobyUK

Postby MobyUK » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:07 am

Hi Dan
Doesn't matter, ignore that. It's easy enough to change it and add the email stuff.
At least I can now have it running on my laptop when I'm out and about and still have all the right data.
Cheers
Moby
MobyUK

Return to Technical Support