Printed monthly calendars -- distinguish prior days

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Printed monthly calendars -- distinguish prior days

Postby bill@spikowski.com » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:38 am

I look at Vueminder mostly on my PC and my phone, but an important feature for me is the ability to print out monthly calendars for the next six months and keep these in my briefcase. It's the best way I know to quickly scan my calendar for important events and deadlines, and to keep an eye on overly busy periods and periods when I will have some slack time.

A really nice feature of Vueminder is that these monthly calendars show events for the entire week at the beginning and end of the month, not just the days during the actual month. But it would be useful to me to differentiate those extra days (before the beginning and after the end of the month) by having them shaded slightly. The on-screen calendar does that, but the printed copy doesn't. I've figured out a few workarounds but they're pretty clumsy!
bill@spikowski.com

Re: Printed monthly calendars -- distinguish prior days

Postby VueSoft » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:16 am

Hi Bill, thanks for the feedback. I'll add an option to shade the dates in the next/previous month. I'll post a reply when this improvement is completed. In the meantime, you might take a look at my other product - PrintableCal.

PrintableCal is an add-in for Word and Excel. It includes a large number of templates, including a month template that shades the dates in the previous/next month. The templates can also be customized by the user, so if you don't like the shaded color (or any other color), you can modify the template however you'd like. PrintableCal can import events from VueMinder and many other sources when generating calendars.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby bill@spikowski.com » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:57 am

I found your company while I was searching for a printable calendar to replace my old software that wouldn't run on any Windows OS before Windows 7.

I found PrintableCal and it's pretty slick -- I'm already familiar with formatting in Word and Excel. I'll probably find several uses for PrintableCal, for instance making really nice-looking calendars for newsletters and reports -- but for my daily use I need to quickly print my routine calendars using an acceptable format I've already set up. I'd rather not have to export events into different software and manipulate the calendars there. The printing function of Vueminder took me quite a while to figure out (the margins in particular), but now that it's set up, printing my routine calendars is pretty automatic. So I get the advantages of easy-to-print calendars along with having my calendars viewable on my phone and table and shareable with other -- well worth the learning curve that new software requires!
bill@spikowski.com

Postby VueSoft » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:33 am

Thank you for the feedback. Just to clarify, after you configure PrintableCal to connect to VueMinder, it's automatic. Whenever you generate a new calendar in PrintableCal, the latest events will be automatically imported from VueMinder. There's no manual exporting/importing required and it's fairly seamless.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby bill@spikowski.com » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:17 pm

I didn't realize that from my initial testing of PrintableCal.

I'll give it another try
bill@spikowski.com

Postby VueSoft » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi Bill, I've added a "Shade dates in other months" option to the Monthly print layout settings in VueMinder. This improvement is in version 2016.03. To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby bill@spikowski.com » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:11 am

That's excellent!
bill@spikowski.com

Return to Suggestions