Detect and prune duplicate items?

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Detect and prune duplicate items?

Postby Bilbo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:27 pm

When I do bad syncs from a handheld Android calendar to GCal, extra copies of items are created.

Wishing for a feature to show and count duplicates, and then do a Delete-Dupes command. In each group of dupes, drop all entries except one.

In case VMP suppresses duplicates, then maybe that feature could be turned on and off with a switch. This would let us see exactly the same thing that GCal displays regarding duplicate entries.
Bilbo

Re: Detect and prune duplicate items?

Postby VueSoft » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:27 am

Hi Bilbo, thank you for the suggestion. I've added this to my to-do list and will post a reply when it's completed.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi Bilbo, I've improved the next release (version 2016.00) to add a "Remove Duplicates" command to the Tools menu. A beta is available if you'd like an early look:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1756
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Bilbo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:57 pm

Hey this works great to recover from sync-snafu scenarios.

I notice the Duplicates to Remove list shows some events that do not appear in either GCal or Day/Month/Events view. This is good, because I want to find these records to clear them out. However the DTR list displays one fewer than the true number of twin/triplet/dup events. It wants to leave one record alone after dropping extra copies. But then how would I find that one last record again? It needs to be deleted because ... it's a leftover remnant from a recurring event where I deleted all the occurrences with "remove only this occurrance". After the last instance is deleted that way, the series still exists, but none of its events appear in any list displayed anywhere. Is there some kind of debug-mode raw data dump, maybe with filtering or search, to find the widowed recurrence-roots and delete them? The records in question _do_ appear in ICS exports. As you might expect, the export has one more record than the number displayed in the DTR list. How can I find and delete event stubs that exist but do not appear in the UI?

Also http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... cates.html returned a 404.
Bilbo

Postby VueSoft » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi Bilbo, the Remove Duplicates feature was designed to delete extra copies of an event, so only one copy is left. The situation you're encountering, where you deleted all the instances of a recurring series, but not the entire series itself (and you also had duplicates of the recurring series) is a bit out of the scope of what the Remove Duplicates feature was intended to solve. In the current implementation, there's no way to use the Remove Duplicates feature to delete an orphaned recurring series that had all its occurrences deleted but isn't a duplicate of anything else.

I'll add this to my to-do list - maybe it could be solved by adding a new "Cleanup" feature to the Tools menu. I also still need to write the user documentation for the new features.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions