Can event journaling be enabled?

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Can event journaling be enabled?

Postby FreedomTaxed » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:55 pm

We use VMU to handle appointments into our office for a modest list of professionals. We were using Google Calendar but were more than nervous about the lack of accountability... if Google lost our appointment data, it would be nearly catastrophic. VueMinder gives us almost all of the control over our data that we need.

But our office has chaos and unapproved fingers on keyboards. So I'm interested in VueMinder Ultimate having a journaling feature... where every change (add event, change event, delete event) is logged in a simple text file, one after another. That way, if there's a deletion and we investigate later (which seems to happen annoying often), the VueMinder journal will show it, and the information can be easily recovered.
FreedomTaxed

Re: Can event journaling be enabled?

Postby VueSoft » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:36 am

Hi FreedomTaxed, thank you for the suggestion. This type of history tracking is currently provided when your calendar is configured to be shared through MySQL Server (even if only using your single user license of VueMinder on one computer). See the page linked below for instructions on how to enable syncing with MySQL Server:
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php

To view the history log of all changes to the shared calendar, click the "View Log" button in the Sharing Options. The log will show when each event was added, deleted, or modified. If there are multiple users, the user responsible for each change will also be listed.

Also, VueMinder has a built-in automatic backup feature. You can configure this feature by using the "Backup Data" command on the File menu. If something happens where you need to recover previous data, you can do so by using the "Restore Data" command on the File menu.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby FreedomTaxed » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:16 am

We won't be using MySQL. I can understand that you used MySQL to perform the logging, since it's built into that database system. I also understand that enabling journaling in existing software can be a big project, like "build to test" and other such measures that are deep in the code. I was just wondering if (1) journaling was already in the code and could be turned on, or if (2) simple journaling could be enabled in the next version of VMU regardless of sharing or syncing choices.
FreedomTaxed

Postby VueSoft » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:41 pm

Hi FreedomTaxed, change tracking is built into the code when syncing with MySQL Server but it's not something that can be easily enabled for non-synced calendars (the tracking data is stored in a table of the MySQL Server database, not in the local data cache).

It's possible a simple change tracking feature could be implemented for non-synced calendars. I've added it to my list of possible improvements for a future version.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions