url field

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

url field

Postby StevenAvery » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi,

Great program.
Returning after a few years without a calendar.

The contact editor has field defined as a "urls" field,

Seems like such a field would be handy when inputting any calendar event. Possibly with a checkbox as to whether the url should show up on the calendar. (Alternately there could be a little symbol on the calendar indicating that there is a urlfield.)

Granted we can put the url in the Title or Description, but by giving it a field directly it is more worked with (and can be an option on printing and showing easier).

Steven
StevenAvery

Re: url field

Postby VueSoft » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:40 am

Hi Steven, welcome back and thank you for the suggestion. The Ultimate version supports the addition of custom fields of various types (Date, Integer, Text, etc). One of the supported field types is "URL". You could add one or more URL custom fields for events, and these would be accessible whenever an event is created or opened. Any URLs entered for an event would be clickable in the Details Pane, on the hover tooltip, in the Events List, etc.

See the page linked below for more details about custom fields in the Ultimate version:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... mdata.html
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby StevenAvery » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:56 am

Hi,

Keep in mind though that a new url field would have to be created manually for each event. So most of the time I am going to ad hoc drop it in one field or another. To much bother to create for one time use.

Now I might easily have 100 events in a year that have an associated url. Thus it would be a natural for a system-wide field. Also then it could work on a specific layout spot on a report or export.

Maybe the next time you add fields to the database :).

Steven
StevenAvery

Postby VueSoft » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:57 am

Hi Steven, when you define a custom field, you only need to create it one time. The custom field will then be available for all events. In other words, when you open an event you'll see the URL field on the Custom tab and a value could then be entered. You don't need to go through the steps of creating a new custom field each time.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby StevenAvery » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:38 pm

Ok, thanks. I'll do that then.

What was curious is that the creation is done while you are in a singular event. So I assumed it related to that. Usually a global field will be part of a global creation.

Good to know! Thanks.

So far, really really liking the calendar!
StevenAvery

Return to Suggestions