Provisional entries and event reminder emails

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Provisional entries and event reminder emails

Postby brianvic » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi
I know you can set reminders for an event, but I wonder if it could be made more flexible?

I use VueMinder to manage a bands' clients and bookings. It generally works very well. In fact it's the human element that usually lets it down!

I take provisional bookings and usually send a reminder prior to the provisional booking expiring. However, when things are really busy I often forget and have just disappointed a client who incorrectly thought they had booked us.

The actual event could be a year or two in the future and so the provisional will be placed on this date in the calendar. However, the provisional booking will expire 6 weeks after the date the booking was placed, and not the date of the actual event.

Currently reminders can be set for before the "event" starts or after it ends. What I would like to be able to do is send a reminder before the provisional booking expires. I could do this if I could specify a specific date, or dates, for the reminder(s). This would let me set a reminder for say for 4 weeks after the provisional enquiry.

For example; if I got a provisional booking in today for a date in 2015 that provisional booking would expire on the 3rd August. I would want to be able to send an email 2 weeks before the provisional booking expired, in this case on the 20th July, and then again a couple of days before, say on the 1st August. Or on any other date I choose.

It would also require the ability to enter specific text for the email reminder body so that it can be specific and targeted text, rather than just generic text. Each of our bookings is only for one client, but for different types of events. It would allow the reminder system to seem more personal.

The reminder system that exists now would work if the date for the reminder could be manually set rather than just before and after the actual event, along with a field to enter a short message specific to that reminder.

Is this something that would be do-able in VueMinder? Is it something that would be of interest to other users? If so is it something that could be implemented reasonably quickly? I've looked at specific booking system software, but not many offer provisional bookings and none appear to offer the ability to send a reminder for a booking within a specific time frame unrelated to the actual booking date itself (ie the life of the provisional booking from when the booking was made).

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Brian
brianvic

Re: Provisional entries and event reminder emails

Postby VueSoft » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi Brian, thank you for the feedback. VueMinder was designed with this type of flexibility in mind. Here's how I suggest using VueMinder to accomplish your needs. Note, these instructions assume you're using the latest version.

1. Create a new contact for your client, if you haven't already. Contacts can be created via the "New -> Contact" command on the File menu. Make sure to enter an email address for the client so they can get an email reminder.

2. On the Contacts tab, right-click the contact and select "New Event for Contact". This will be the "provisional booking" event, not the actual booking data (that will be created in a later step). Enter the date the booking was placed and edit any other data for the booking event as needed.

3. Click the "Reminder" tab. The contact linked to this provisional booking will be automatically selected as a default recipient. Under "Send reminders", schedule the reminder to be sent 4 weeks after the event ends. There's a drop-down on the right side that allows you to toggle whether the reminder is sent before or after the event. You can also save this as a default setting for any new events by clicking the "Save Defaults" button on the toolbar at the top of the Event Editor.

4. Click the Links tab. You'll see this event has been automatically linked to the contact. It also needs to be linked to the actual booking date. To do this, click the "Link New -> Event" button.

5. Enter the details of the booking event. This event should be on the date of the actual booking. Click the Save and Close button when finished.

6. The Links tab of the provisional booking event will refresh to show the date of the actual event. Now you have both the contact information and the actual booking date linked in one convenient place. This information will be accessible regardless of whether the event or contact is opened. Also, if a client has multiple bookings, when you open the Contact Editor you'll see a history of bookings on the Links tab.

7. Click the Save and Close button. The reminder will be scheduled 4 weeks after the date the booking was placed.

I think when you go through these steps, it will be more clear how this is intended to work. The "Links" tab is one of the most powerful and overlooked features of VueMinder. I hope you'll find it useful.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby brianvic » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:45 am

Hi Dan

That works a treat! Thank you! And you're right, the ability to link elements of the software is really useful. I hadn't realised how powerful it could be and I need to go and investigate the documentation further.

Again, my thanks for such a great piece of software and such great support.

Brian
brianvic

Postby brianvic » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi Dan

I'm having a small issue with the email reminder. I'm trying to add more than one recipient, but it only appears to save the contacts email address. I've selected 1 additional address, but when I save the event only the contacts address appears to be stored when I open it to check. I've tried this with more than one extra with the same result.

Is this a bug or am I missing something? The recipients are chosen from existing contacts by clicking on the To... button.

Brian
brianvic

Postby VueSoft » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:20 am

Hi Brian, this appears to be a bug. In my testing, I only see it happen for events that have been linked to contacts. The reminder recipient list isn't being properly saved. I apologize for the inconvenience and will have this fixed in the next release.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:06 pm

The problem adding additional contacts to the email reminder recipient list has been corrected in version 11.2.1. To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions