using the database

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

using the database

Postby netgeorger » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:24 pm

I wonder if it is possible to access the mysql database for use in other applications this would centralize the data so that the input from one application to another would not be a redundant and error prone chore. I need that kind of connectivity to make it worthwhile as it is I would end up having to build a database with tables that would need to be reflected in the calendar. It seems you have provided numerous import functions and export functions but this is not the same as direct access from an exterior view that could be built on the table. I wonder if you have an odbc connection for the database that you are using and how could I use it is my question?
I am a very new user and do not know all the functions and limitations of the product but everything I see is really great for a desktop App.
Thank you for any consideration of these questions.
netgeorger

Re: using the database

Postby VueSoft » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi netgeorger, welcome to the forums. For improved performance and security, most of the data in the database is stored as a binary "blob" readable only by VueMinder. The database wasn’t designed for syncing with other external applications. I’m planning to develop a VueMinder API to provide this capability, but I don’t know when it will be completed.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby netgeorger » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:25 pm

The api or odbc connection would be wonderful. I know coming from using alpah5 database that the community is often asking for a calendar application for the desktop that has the kind of
enhancements and abilities that your calendar presents. I am thinking that the only way I can do it
now is to build a google calendar and contact access method via the google api for my database and then synch that to your desktop calendar which you have already provided. This method has been discussed in Alpha trying to use google as a calendar versus a few other calendars that either cost too much or are fairly barebones. Most are Internet calendars that require a host so one would have to consider that over the life of the application. So far I can see that your calendar even without the direct access has a fairly easy path to update import and export data it is just that a direct access would make it awesome and as I said a central hub for a business concern with reporting needs from the database.
The Application is a little on the expensive side for a developer to offer as an enhancement to a database program but is an important part of any application so it might be worth the trouble to find a method to automate the updating of the calendar from an external database or application.
I don't know if the google synch that you have is an automatic synch or one that has to be maintained. Anyway,
Thank you for your response and consideration
George R. Kenney
netgeorger

Postby VueSoft » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi George, thanks for the feedback. I'll let you know when the VueMinder API is completed. In the meantime, VueMinder does automatically sync with Google Calendar. VueMinder will sync within 30 seconds of any changes being made remotely to Google Calendar.

I'm very familiar with the Google Calendar API, having used it for the past 5 years. If you have any questions about hooking up to the Google Calendar API, I'd be happy to help.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions