Time Zone issues with Google Calendars

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Time Zone issues with Google Calendars

Postby jakeawake » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:34 pm

Hello -

I'm having issues with times on events. Recently, I was on the East Coast (usually west coast) and set my computer's clock to East Coast time. Google calendar was never set to a different time zone. I left it Pacific. When I returned, and set my computer's clock back to Pacific, there are events that were created in the Google Calendar that are showing up 3 hours off in VueMinder. I've checked the time zone settings on the computer and on Google Calendar (both the main Google Calendar setting and the individual events) and everything shows Pacific Time, yet VueMinder does not show the correct event time for events that were created while the computer was set to Eastern Time. New events created now that everything is back to Pacific time are OK, but events created during my trip to the east coast are incorrect in VueMinder. I've quit and restarted, etc. Nothing seems to change it.
jakeawake

Re: Time Zone issues with Google Calendars

Postby VueSoft » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:09 pm

Hi jakeawake, to fix the problem, delete the calendar from VueMinder and then re-add it using the "Add Google Calendar" command on the File menu. Please let me know if that doesn't solve it, or if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby deaconclif » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:54 am

Our parish associates employ Google Calendar as their primary method of managing shared calendars. However, Google Calendar is not printer friendly. Thus, I employ VueMinder for this purpose. With daylight savings time coming in March 2014, I again am having problems with VueMinder randomly altering meeting times offsetting some by one hour leaving others correct per their Google setting. I have verified that EST is selected in both calendar setting locations in Google Calendar and in WIndows, which is set to automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time. Thus far, the only way I have found to get around this problem is to locate the failed sync times, go back to Google Calendar and cheat the time so as to fake out VueMinder. I then re-sync to make my VueMinder calendar times accurate for printing purposes. Once I have printed the necessary months, I then have to go back into Google and correct all the changes I made to fake out VueMinder. There has to be a better way.
Thank you,
Clif
deaconclif

Postby VueSoft » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi Clif, welcome to the forums. On the Google Calendar webpage, open/edit one of the events that is appearing at the wrong time in VueMinder. Click the "Time zone" link below the event title. Make a note of the selected time zone. Next, open one of the events that appears to be correct. Compare the time zones between the two events to see if you can find any inconsistencies and adjust as needed. Does that solve the problem?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby deaconclif » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:10 pm

Thank you for your prompt response. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem. For example, I checked two events scheduled on the same day in Google, one at 7:30am, one at 5:30pm. Both have settings correct at EST in both setting alternatives you noted, no inconsistencies. The 7:30am meeting syncs correctly in VueMinder, the 5:30pm meeting syncs over at 4:30pm. I'd appreciate any other ideas you might have.
deaconclif

Postby VueSoft » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi Clif, can you share the calendar with my Google account (support@vueminder.com) so I can track down the problem?

To share your Google Calendar with my account, follow these steps:
1. On the Google Calendar webpage, click the drop-down arrow to the right of your calendar’s name.
2. Select “Share this calendar” from the drop-down.
3. Enter my email address (support@vueminder.com) under “Share with specific people”. Make sure the Permission Settings are set to “See all event details”.
4. Click the Save button. Google will send me a notification letting me know the calendar has been shared. Hopefully I’ll be able to replicate the problem and find what is causing it.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby deaconclif » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:44 am

Calendar Shared. Thanks.
deaconclif

Postby VueSoft » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi Clif, this has been fixed for the next version of VueMinder, which will use the latest Google Calendar API. I'll let you know when the next version is available to download.

Also, if you're using VueMinder to print your Google calendar, you could temporarily work around the problem by using PrintableCal. It should show the correct times. It also enables you to add clipart, logos, contact info, etc. to your printed calendars. You can learn more about PrintableCal here:
http://www.printablecal.com
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby deaconclif » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks, Dan. I will look forward to your update on the next download of VueMinder. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
deaconclif

Postby Yoshi8765 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:35 am

Hello,

I seem to be having similar issues. I wanted to add a google calendar under another google account, so I used the subscribe option with the .ics link to the calendar. Both vueminder (set to my local time) and the shared calendar are at UTC -7 Pacific Time, but for some reason, every event in the subscribed calendar is showing up 2 hours after! Can there be a fix to this? I've tried looking around settings to no avail.
Yoshi8765

Next

Return to Technical Support