Event duration issue

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Event duration issue

Postby Karen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:57 pm

I see I am quickly becoming a pest. In a calendar, I have set the default duration time as 1 day (or all day). When I add an event to that calendar, it converts the duration time to 16 hours. When I noticed this, I opened the event and changed it to all day. It still displays as 16 hours.
Karen

Re: Event duration issue

Postby VueSoft » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:27 pm

Karen, I'm attempting to duplicate this behavior but I'm not seeing it happen. Which view are you in (Day/Week/Month) when creating the new event? Are you right-clicking, double-clicking, or using the "New Event" toolbar command? Also, is calendar for which you set the default event duration to 1 day, also the default/active calendar? Its icon in the calendar list should have a green arrow, indicating it will be the default calendar for any new events that are created. If it is not the active calendar, you can make it active by clicking on its name in the calendar list.

I did find a problem when double-clicking an empty day in the Month view to create a new event. The duration is being set to 1 hour regardless of the calendar default. It does use the default when selecting "New Event" from the right-click context menu or toolbar command, but not when double-clicking. Also, if the "Click to add event" button that appears when hovering over a day or time slot is clicked, the event that gets added is set to belong to an unassigned calendar, rather than the currently active calendar. Both of these bugs will be fixed in the next release, which should be coming out within the next week or so.

However, those problems don't sound like what you're seeing, so I'll keep investigating this.

As for being a pest, you're definitely not! I'm just glad someone is finally using these forums. :D
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:27 am

The problem with events that should be all-day, being created as 16 hours in length, has been corrected in version 3.09.0201.

Other related problems have also been corrected. New events will be correctly assigned to the active calendar and will be initialized using the appropriate defaults.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Karen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:44 am

I downloaded the new release, but am still having problems. All day events still show a 16 hour duration. I have taken a screenshot and attached it below. This occurs in all of my attempts (recurring and non-recurring). I was working in Week View. Would it help to change the view to execute new events or edit current ones?

Love the calendar colors in the Event List (finally figured out how to use that!) and Reminder Pop-up... Thanks!

I can't figure out how to change the appearance of a single event to something different than the parent calendar. I have checked the box in Calendar Options 'event appearances can be individually modified'. What should I do next? I just want to change the colors. I can't find it in the Help Menu.

The white blocks in the Desktop Alert problem corrected itself with an uninstall/reinstall.
Attachments
VM1.jpg
VM1.jpg (52.61 KiB) Viewed 7639 times
Karen

Postby Karen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:42 pm

I realized I had not answered some of your questions regarding the 16 hour problem. While trying to tell you what steps I was taking, I managed to send the post into cyber-space. However, I did discover (after much trial and error) that the problem lies only with recurring events. I can delete, create and/or recreate a non-recurring event with no problem. I cannot delete/recreate an existing event, nor create a new event and get an All Day result if the event is recurring. I get the 16 hour duration no matter what.

Another oddity is that when creating a new event (the correct calendar selected and shows the green arrow), the new event window does not display the default All Day duration, but instead shows 1 hour. The only time I can get the New Event window to already show all day is if I first select a blank space in the area where the All Day events appear in the calendar. Even then, it will revert to 16 hours as soon as I select or change it to a recurring event. Hope that helps you find the problem.
Karen

Postby VueSoft » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:43 pm

To change the appearance of a single event, after you've selected the "Event appearances can be individually modified" appearance option, click the event in the Day/Week/Month view to select it. Alternatively, you can click the event's row selector in the event list to select the event. You can then change the font or colors for the selected event by using the appearance toolbar.

I will improve this to make it more intuitive by adding an appearance tab to the event editor. Also, the theme you're using doesn't show a border around selected events like the default theme does, so I'll fix that as well.

As for the 16-hour event problem, I'm able to duplicate the behavior. It intializes to being all-day, but changes to 16 hours as soon as it is made recurring, just as you describe. I believe I know what is causing this and will correct this as soon as possible.

When creating an event on the Day or Week view, the event duration will match the number of time slots selected when the event is created. This is by design. You can highlight the desired start and end time slot range, and then click the "New Event" toolbar button to create the event, without needing to modify the start and end times in the event editor because they were already selected via the time slots before the event was created. To create a new all-day event, you would need to create it from the all-day header area. I will clarify the help documentation to better explain how this works.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Karen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:35 pm

I was using the steps you state to change the appearance of a single event. It works fine now, but was not working before. Perhaps trial version?

I understand how the Event creation process works now, and why. Makes perfect sense for most calendar program users, and I do not suggest you change it. I am in my learning-new-software mode, and guilty-as-charged for not reading the help guide more thoroughly.
Karen

Postby VueSoft » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:01 pm

I'm not sure why changing the event appearance wasn't working before. There shouldn't be any functional different between the trial version and registered version. I'll look into it to see if I can duplicate the behavior.

I'm currently putting together a FAQ. I'll add a section to explain the nuances of event durations when creating events from the day and week views, since I think that's something that is easy to miss in the help documentation and may be confusing.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support