Server DB reports

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Server DB reports

Postby pintoj » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:43 pm

Since Microsoft no longer provides a DB management tool for SQL Express for free anymore, create some simple reports to show what info is on the server DB that would be useful for diagnosing problems with syncing and sharing.
pintoj

Re: Server DB reports

Postby VueSoft » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:27 am

Hi pintoj, thank you for the suggestion. As far as I'm aware, Microsoft still provides a DB management tool for free. It's called SQL Server Management Studio Express and can be downloaded here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=7593

Using this tool you can view what is in the various tables, run SQL queries, see logs and server status, etc. Most of the data in the tables is encrypted or in binary format for security. However, the tool should still do a lot of what you're looking for.

I think it would be a good idea to provide some additional logging capability for debugging purposes. For example, when an event is deleted, it would be useful to see WHY the event was deleted in some type of log. This would show which username originally deleted the event and at what time. The log could also show other useful information. I've added this to my list of planned improvements and will let you know when it's ready.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby pintoj » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:20 am

Actually that link does not download anything that allows you to look at the DB anymore. It is now just a tool to manage the features loaded into your DB. It used to give you a full DB mgmt tool like you are describing but not anymore. This was something MS decided to change last year sometime. Probably a marketing decision to sell more copies of Visual Studio. If you download that link onto a machine that doesn't have a full SQL DB or Visual Studio loaded onto it then it no longer does what it used to do. I've been looking for something else to use to replace what MS used to provide for free but I haven't found anything yet. That was the reason for the suggested DB reports to replace some of the info you used to be able to get via the old Express Mgmt Studio to help with debugging server problems.
pintoj

Postby VueSoft » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:51 pm

Ah, thanks for the info. I didn't realize M$ changed this because I have Visual Studio on the computer where I run SQL Server Management Studio.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:19 pm

I think it would be a good idea to provide some additional logging capability for debugging purposes. For example, when an event is deleted, it would be useful to see WHY the event was deleted in some type of log. This would show which username originally deleted the event and at what time. The log could also show other useful information. I've added this to my list of planned improvements and will let you know when it's ready.

Version 11.1.0 has been improved to include a "View Log" button in the Sharing Options. This log will show who made changes and when. Also, the dependency on Microsoft SQL Server (and all it's needless complexity) is a thing of the past. The new version uses MySQL Server, which is just as capable as Microsoft SQL Server, but simple enough for normal people to use.

The next version is currently in beta testing. If you'd like to download the beta, it's available here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1337
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions