Age calculation for birthdays etc

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Age calculation for birthdays etc

Postby gjbth » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:07 pm

With my previous calendar software, if I created a annual recurring event, I could choose the option to 'calculate age using start date'.

This was handy for birthdays as the event or persons age was automatically displayed and updated yearly.
gjbth

Re: Age calculation for birthdays etc

Postby VueSoft » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what I can do.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby chriswa » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:24 am

I do really hope we can get the age calculating feature since that is the decider for me whether I keep using this calendar or not.
Peoples age is the hardest thing for me to remember so I'm really looking forward to that feature.

/ chriswa
chriswa

Postby VueSoft » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi chriswa, welcome to the forums! I appreciate your feedback, and am happy to let you know this feature request will be included in the next release (5.5.0), which should be coming out in a few weeks and is going to be packed with many other requested improvements.

Here's a preview of how this new feature will appear. In the Event Editor window, on the Recurrence tab, a new checkbox will display for the Yearly occurrence type. You can use this checkbox for any type of yearly event and it's not limited to just birthdays.
Show Occurrence Number.jpg
Show Occurrence Number.jpg (31.46 KiB) Viewed 4226 times

This setting will be used in popup reminder windows, desktop alerts, reminder email/SMS (Pro version only), Event List (Pro version only) and the Details Pane. The occurrence number will be automatically calculated and shown as part of the event title. Here's an example of how this will look in the Details Pane:
Details Pane.jpg
Details Pane.jpg (14.86 KiB) Viewed 4226 times

Does this match what you're envisioning?

As mentioned above, there are many other improvements also slated for the next release and still in work, so it will be a few weeks before this feature is available. If you're using the Pro version trial and would like to extend your trial period while you wait for this feature, please let me know.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:20 am

Version 5.5.0 has been released and contains the improvement as described above. In addition, a field has been added that allows you to enter a starting value for the counter.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby HomerJS » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:10 am

Hi there,

Is it possible for the age unit to be "yrs" instead of "#"? Thanks very much for a great product.

Homer
HomerJS

Postby VueSoft » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:21 am

Hi HomerJS, welcome to the forums and thank you for the suggestion. Currently, the occurrence numbering always uses "#" in front of the number because this can be used for other types of events, like daily/weekly/monthly ones. I could improve this by making the occurrence numbering something the user can format. However, this will add some more complexity to the software, which I'm trying to avoid.

I have this idea on my list, and will try to think of a way to provide this functionality without complicating the interface. I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks again for the suggestion, and please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions