Appearance settings for category

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Appearance settings for category

Postby gjbth » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:58 am

I know you have just added categories to Vueminder and I am grateful for that, but maybe an idea for a future version.

Being able to assign appearance settings to categories, similar to event settings and an option to automatically change event appearance to that of the selected category when it is assigned to an event.

Best Regards

gjbth
gjbth

Re: Appearance settings for category

Postby VueSoft » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll need to think about how to best incorporate this into the program, since it was designed to use calendars for the event appearances and not categories. I think this is something we can add, but I'll need to come up with a good way of doing it, that doesn't break a lot of the current functionality or overwhelm new users with choices. I'll let you know what I come up with.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:32 pm

after more thought I think you are right, using calendars for event appearances is better, it would be overkill to be able to do this to categories as well.

Perhaps you could add a feature for the user to attach an icon of their choice to a category or a calendar event, so that they would stand out when glancing at a calendar display.

Best Regards

gjbth
gjbth

Postby VueSoft » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:41 am

Well, after a lot of careful thought on how to best design this, the results are available in version 5.5.0. I think it turned out really well. A new Categories tab has been added to the Calendar Items area. The defalt behavior is to switch the Day/Week/Month View and Event List to display event and task colors based on category when the Categories tab is active.

You can assign colors to each of the categories, create new categories, and delete existing ones. You can also filter events based on assigned category, and filtering will work correctly even when events have more than one category assigned. I hope you like this new feature!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions