link to documents etc

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

link to documents etc

Postby gjbth » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:53 am

would it be possible for a user to attach a link of some kind into an event, say to a relevant word or excel document. Or graphic file or anything relevant to the event.

Thank you

gjbth
gjbth

Re: link to documents etc

Postby VueSoft » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:04 pm

Do you mean a link that can be clicked from the reminder, or something that's in the event desription? You can currently do this in the event description, although it's probably not very clear that the capability is there, if you don't know HTML.

For example, click the "Edit as HTML" checkbox, and then create a link to any document on your computer. Here's an event description I created to test I could open a file from a link within the event:
<a href="C:\Users\Dan\Documents\Business\Long Range Business Plan.doc">Test</a>

Just replace my document above with the path and name of whatever document you want to link to. The description will show the link in the HTML preview. You can click the link to open the file.

I should probably make this more intuitive, and add editing buttons for people that aren't familar with HTML. A button could be added for inserting a link to a file.

Thank you for the suggestion!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:26 pm

I tried your example and it works fine, I wasn't aware this could be done. As you say editing buttons would be great to make this feature more intuitive.

Thank you

gjbth
gjbth

Postby VueSoft » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:00 am

A full-featured event description editor has been added in the new release (5.1.0).

The text editor contains buttons for formatting the text, inserting URL links, inserting links to files on your computer or local network, inserting pictures, and more. I think it's a big improvement over the previous description editor!

The tooltips and new Details pane will also use the description as it's formatted in the Event editor, as will email reminders.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:27 pm

This is way beyond anything I expected you add, when I requested the ability to link to a file or document.

An outstanding addition.

Many thanks yet again

gjbth
gjbth

Postby gjbth » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:08 am

Is it possible for the new text editor to support drag and drop, so that links to files and hyperlinks could be dropped in from explorer or some other file manager.

Forgive me if this is technically impossible, but its just an idea that came to me.

Anyway I think the new editor is an excellent addition as it is :D :D

Thanks again

gjbth
gjbth

Postby VueSoft » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:53 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll need to do some research to see if this is possible. I think it might be, but I'm not sure yet. I'll post a reply to this thread once I know more.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:06 pm

The latest version (5.2.0) has been improved to support drag-and-drop of files into the event description or task details text editor. When dragging a file into the editor, a link will be inserted.

Thanks again for the suggestion!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:48 am

:D :D This is a real productivity booster Dan.
Many thanks for adding the drag and drop feature.

Best Regards

gjbth
gjbth

Postby gjbth » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:17 am

Dan, vueminder still will not accept files contained in directories with an '&' character in their name. i. e:\data\building & construction.
The simple solution is to change the '&' to 'and' but other users will probaly not be aware of this.
gjbth

Next

Return to Suggestions