Import Contacts into a Specific Group/Folder

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Import Contacts into a Specific Group/Folder

Postby multinaturalist » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:36 am

1. ) I am still testing VueMinder (and like it very much), but It would be so much easier to transition to VueMinder from my present Contact Manager if contacts could be imported from, say, a .csv file directly into an existing VueMinder Group/Folder or to a created Group/Folder. Presently, I will have to hand code an identifier in a Note field, for instance, in each contact in my current Contact Manager to identify them once they are imported into the "Default" Group/Folder in VueMinder. This is the one thing that makes switching to VueMinder look imposing (The workaround is worth the effort, but it would be so much easier if VueMinder had this import feature).

2.) It would be good if we could select multiple contacts in List view and move them all simultaneously to a specific Group/Folder. Or select multiple contacts and set a category for all of them simultaneously.

3.) Can Group/Folder names be changed once they are created?

4.) It would be easier to identify Group/Folder titles if the title line stood out better from the contacts themselves, especially the ones directly above the title--perhaps you could add a half-line space or so above the Group/Folder name to separate it from the preceding Groups' contacts, or by coloring the background of the title line, or bolding the title.
multinaturalist

Re: Import Contacts into a Specific Group/Folder

Postby VueSoft » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:06 am

Hi multinaturalist, thank you for the suggestions.

1. ) I am still testing VueMinder (and like it very much), but It would be so much easier to transition to VueMinder from my present Contact Manager if contacts could be imported from, say, a .csv file directly into an existing VueMinder Group/Folder or to a created Group/Folder.

You can import contacts into a specific group/folder if there's a "Group" column defined in the CSV or Excel file that is being imported. In other words, you could open the CSV file in Excel, insert a column named "Group", and then enter the group name for each contact row. When the contacts are imported, they will be placed in the associated group/folder.

2.) It would be good if we could select multiple contacts in List view and move them all simultaneously to a specific Group/Folder. Or select multiple contacts and set a category for all of them simultaneously.

I have this on my planned improvement list. I'll let you know when it's available. It will be similar to the "Categorize" command when right-clicking events and tasks.

Not currently. This is another thing I'm planning to improve. In the meantime, you could change the group name in the file that was imported, and then re-import. Existing contacts will be updated to belong to the new group.

4.) It would be easier to identify Group/Folder titles if the title line stood out better from the contacts themselves, especially the ones directly above the title--perhaps you could add a half-line space or so above the Group/Folder name to separate it from the preceding Groups' contacts, or by coloring the background of the title line, or bolding the title.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you using a different appearance theme (specified in the Appearance Options)? When contacts are grouped by "Group/Folder", the group/folder line is dark gray with larger white text, while the contact rows are white with black text. To my eye, there's plenty of contrast and it makes it easy to see which contact rows are in which group. Maybe you're using a different appearance theme?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby multinaturalist » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:16 am

Thank you for the suggestion of creating a "Group" field in my CSV file. I think I can do that fairly easily.

Regarding the "Groups/Folders" line appearing distinct from the contact entries, I was using "BlueAndGray" theme. The line appears as you describe when I switch to "default appearance," or one of the other themes, such as "DarkGray."

It's also nice that you give us the "Customize" option for themes (talk about complete control over the Appearance). Initially, however, I couldn't exit "Customize" mode. The UI panel which popped up to the right wasn't clickable until I had minimized VueMinder to the tray and then opened it again (which then allowed me to close it). -- I've not been able to reproduce this unclickability of the panel. If it happens again, I'll let you know what I did.
multinaturalist

Postby VueSoft » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Version 2017.00 adds a Contact Group Editor, where group/folder names can be created, deleted, or renamed. See the page linked below for more details:
http://www.vueminder.com/blog/post/what ... oup-editor

To update, click the "Help -> Check for Updates" menu command.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions