Drag-drop tasks and notes from a dump into date-boxes

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Drag-drop tasks and notes from a dump into date-boxes

Postby Abhi » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi! Started using VueMinder yesterday. It's a great product! It has everything I was looking for except one feature. I want to first create tasks/notes without assigning them to any date and those tasks and notes should appear in a panel beside the calendar. Once I'm done adding tasks and notes in the side-panel, I should be able to drag and drop them to specific dates in the calender.

Can it be incorporated in the next version?
Abhi

Re: Drag-drop tasks and notes from a dump into date-boxes

Postby VueSoft » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:14 am

Hi Abhi, welcome to the forums. You can re-arrange the main window so your notes and tasks are a sidebar along the edge of the window. To do this, right-click the tab name and select "New Vertical Tab Group" or "Move to Next Tab Group". You can adjust the size by dragging the tab group border.

To define a task that isn't assigned to a date, select "No due date" from the "Due" drop-down value in the Task Editor. For notes, uncheck the "Pin to date" box at the bottom of the Note Editor.

Unfortunately, the lists don't support drag-and-drop into the calendar. However, this is on my list of planned improvements. I'll post a reply when this is completed. In the meantime, you can sort or group by due date. Items that have no date will be at the top of the list. You can double-click the row to edit the note or task and assign a date, when needed.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Abhi » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:05 am

Thanks! No other suggestion at this time other than that drag-and-drop. As you mentioned, it's already in pipeline. Once it's implemented, the system would be perfect for me. :)
Abhi

Postby autocart » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:20 am

Hello, I really like the UI and how it is possible to have both the task list and the calendar view on top of each other.

Unfortunately, regarding this thread, it meanwhile is 5 1/2 years later. I just want to say that I don't understand why the drag and drop into the calendar has not been implemented yet because it seems so obvious that this is needed. It is the one thing that would make VueMinder seemingly untouchable to me. Without it it, the UI still is pretty good but has that "yet another disappointment" attribute attached to it. Not worth spending money on it and staying frustrated while humping along with free alternatives.

I would like to plead for the addition of this feature because I would really like to spend my money on this software.

Another thing I would like to mention as well, is that it would be nice if the items in the calendar could be dragged not only to another day but also to a different time of the same day and also be made to snap at 1/2 a day. Maybe this is already possible and I simply did not find out how? if so, I would be grateful to be told how. Many thx for everything now and in advance. Regards, S.
autocart

Postby VueSoft » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi autocart, thank you for the feedback. I try to implement things that a lot of people ask for, and there hasn't been that much demand for drag-and-drop of notes into dates. Part of that might be because most users don't realize you can adjust the screen to show the note list alongside the calendar view. In any case, your feedback has helped increase the priority of this request. I'll post a reply when it's available.

In the meantime, you can open a note and pin it to a date via the "Pin to date" field at the bottom of the note editor. Not quite as easy as drag-and-drop would be, but it gets the job done.

As for dragging items to different times on the same day, this can be accomplished in the Day or Week views. This can't be done on the Month view because time slots aren't shown.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby autocart » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:21 am

VueSoft wrote:Part of that might be because most users don't realize you can adjust the screen to show the note list alongside the calendar view.
That could be true, yet it is a nice view to have. Why not feature it on the website more? (rethorical question)

VueSoft wrote:In any case, your feedback has helped increase the priority of this request. I'll post a reply when it's available.
Thank you.

VueSoft wrote:In the meantime, you can open a note and pin it to a date via the "Pin to date" field at the bottom of the note editor. Not quite as easy as drag-and-drop would be, but it gets the job done.
Ah, I did not even take note of notes yet. Yes, there is this little friend on the bottom but I was thinking of unassigned tasks. Ofc, tasks don't need the pin-field, since they have their own start and due date fields. But as you already mentioned, its not quite the same as woulding be able to drag and drop.

VueSoft wrote:As for dragging items to different times on the same day, this can be accomplished in the Day or Week views. This can't be done on the Month view because time slots aren't shown.
Don't let that stop VueMinder from becoming over the top awesome! For the sake of inspiration, I would like to mention the free program "ToDoList". It has only one calendar view which would correspond to VueMinder's month view (no real week or day view). But that view has a very convenient snap-mode setting for dragging tasks around the calendar. It can be set to snap at each full day, at 1/2 a day, at full hours or even at minutes. And all that without any time slots being shown. The time line of each day in this month view, however, goes from left to right, not from top to bottom. As a user I find this feature to have a lot of potential, since I want to have to switch views as little as possible.

Regards, S.
autocart

Postby autocart » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:11 am

autocart wrote:It is the one thing that would make VueMinder seemingly untouchable to me.

After some more testing, unfortunately, as I should have known, I found some quirks in this software as well. So, that "one" additional feature would not make it untouchable anymore. Just as an update, so that I stay honest and open.

One example which I just stumbled accross, is that in the task "name" field of the task edit dialog "Ctrl+arrow" does nothing, when it should be expected to jump to the end of the (next) word. This sounds minor, but it is not. Thx for letting me come back and correct my viewpoint.
autocart

Return to Suggestions