Keyboard Shortcuts

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Keyboard Shortcuts

Postby TheLetterJ » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:41 am

Great program.

I'm not very confident about the keyboard navigation.

After first opening VM, it appeared keyboard navigation did not work. Left/right, ctrl-left/right, and alt-left/right did not do anything. After I edited an item (sadly having to use the mouse) keyboard navigation worked. Not sure what I did that turned it on.

There are no clues to keyboard navigation. The arrows next to the month do not have tooltips showing the equivalent keypress. There is nothing in the menus that says "Go to Next Month" and shows the equivalent keypress. Help does not show keyboard navigation.

If I use the keyboard to navigate to a different month, and then use Go / Today to go back to Today, the focus actually stays on the other month. It should go to today.

I don't see a way to edit an item with the keyboard. You can navigate to the date, but you can't open the item.

Pressing Enter on a date creates a blank item. Pressing Escape leaves a blank item. Pressing Escape should remove the blank item.

Thank you.
TheLetterJ

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts

Postby VueSoft » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:42 am

Hi TheLetterJ, thank you for the feedback.

After first opening VM, it appeared keyboard navigation did not work. Left/right, ctrl-left/right, and alt-left/right did not do anything. After I edited an item (sadly having to use the mouse) keyboard navigation worked. Not sure what I did that turned it on.

Maybe the window wasn't active. Clicking the window will make it active, so it will detect keyboard input.

There are no clues to keyboard navigation. The arrows next to the month do not have tooltips showing the equivalent keypress. There is nothing in the menus that says "Go to Next Month" and shows the equivalent keypress. Help does not show keyboard navigation.

I've improved this for the next version. When the mouse is hovered over the left or right navigation button, a tooltip will appear showing what the next date range will be if the button is clicked. The keyboard shortcut is also shown.

If I use the keyboard to navigate to a different month, and then use Go / Today to go back to Today, the focus actually stays on the other month. It should go to today.

I've fixed this for the next version.

I don't see a way to edit an item with the keyboard. You can navigate to the date, but you can't open the item.

I'll improve this so if focus is in a date that contains events/tasks/notes, holding the Alt key and pressing the up/down arrow will select and cycle between the items in the date. Pressing Enter will open the selected item.

Pressing Enter on a date creates a blank item. Pressing Escape leaves a blank item. Pressing Escape should remove the blank item.

I'll work on fixing this for the next version. Pressing Enter should create a new event and leave it in edit mode. If the event is in edit mode, pressing Escape will undo creation of the event. This works when clicking the "Click to create an event" hover button, but not when using the Enter key. I'll let you know when a correction is available.

Thanks again for the feedback. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby reythards » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 pm

Dan, please add hot key to close all active balloon reminders.
reythards

Postby VueSoft » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:58 am

Hi reythards, can you clarify? Do you mean the desktop alert reminders?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby reythards » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:17 pm

Yes, exactly! ;)
reythards

Postby VueSoft » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:14 am

Thanks for the clarification. I've added this to my to-do list and will let you know when it's completed.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:48 pm

This has been fixed in 9.0.1. To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu.

Fixed in 9.0.1.

Fixed in 9.0.1

Didn't make it in 9.0.1, but is still on my to-do list.

Dan, please add hot key to close all active balloon reminders.

Also still on my to-do list. I'll see if I can get these into 9.1.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby nikkil » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:43 pm

+1 right here. It would be nice to have this feature.
Last edited by nikkil on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikkil

Postby reythards » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:24 am

It would be nice to use hotkeys that show VM and desktop calendar (Ctrl + Shift + #) to hide them.
reythards

Postby VueSoft » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi reythards, thank you for the suggestion. I'll let you know when this improvement is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Next

Return to Suggestions