SSL VueMinder to Server communication.

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

SSL VueMinder to Server communication.

Postby Andre C » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:07 am

Dan, as advised by you, currently VueMinder Calendar uses a pain-text connection string to connect to VueMinder Server. While this is OK on a LAN, I believe it is a security problem if using VueMinder to sync calendars over a public network like the Internet. I know that there are some measures one can take to make the connection and shared calendar access somewhat more secure but to really secure VueMinder to Server communication, the communication should be SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encrypted.

This is all the more important because VueMinder Calendar is fairly easy configured to sync with VueMinder Server from basically anywhere. (it seems to work well with either raw IP addresses or DNS hostnames).

I know that to be able to use SSL the server would need access to a SSL certificate and that complicates things quite a bit. However if SSL encryption, or something similar, could be implemented somehow that would really be a major plus for VueMinder Calendar.

(Or, maybe a central VueSoft.com hosted VueMinder Server with an SSL certificate? Just an idea...)
Andre C

Re: SSL VueMinder to Server communication.

Postby VueSoft » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi Andre, thank you for the suggestion. I'd prefer to not make configuring calendar sharing any more difficult, which requiring an SSL certificate certainly would. However, I see your point about needing an added layer of security if syncing from outside your local network. I'll see if I can make SSL an option.

Thanks again for the suggestion. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions