Email Client within VueMinder

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Email Client within VueMinder

Postby brianvic » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:15 am

I've looked to see if anyone else has suggested this or not and couldn't find anything. So....

I've been looking for CRM software that would let me link events, contacts and emails. With VueMinder I can easily link events and contacts. While I'm sure it's possible to do I was wondering if there was any chance that an email client might be built into VueMinder in the future that could sync with Google Mail and others. The emails could then be linked to events and clients.

My ideal would then be to look at an event and see the contact(s) related to it along with any emails. Or look at a contact and see any events or emails. Or look at an email and see the related contact and events.

Does anyone else think this might be a good idea? Or have a more refined idea?
brianvic

Re: Email Client within VueMinder

Postby VueSoft » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi brianvic, thanks for the suggestion. Currently, there are no plans to build a full-fledged email client into VueMinder Calendar. Many people already have an email program they prefer to use, but are looking for a really good standalone calendar app because they find the calendar built into their email program is inadequate (ahem, Outlook).

Long term, there might be a way to provide this capability in the form of an add-on or something that can integrate VueMinder's contact/event linking capabilities with various other popular email clients.

In the meantime, the somewhat clunky workaround would be to save the email to a file, and then link that file to the associated contact and/or event in VueMinder. Files can be linked by dragging-and-dropping into the Files tab of the editor. You could also copy-and-paste the email into a note in VueMinder, and then link the note to the contact or event.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby reythards » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:10 am

Totally agree! It's a bad idea to try create smth like Outlook, Thunderbird or Gmail. All PIMs with email I've seen don't have even 30% features that Gmail has. The only e-mail feature could be implemented is simple mail checker / notifier. In my view it's more important to polish existing functionality.
reythards

Postby brianvic » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:36 am

I actually agree. There are many perfectly adequate mail clients out there. I use Google and it pretty much does all I need. However, I would like a simple way of copying an email and attaching it to a contact so that all the data I need to keep track of is in one place (contacts, events, emails). A simple IMAP client would suffice. Then you could select an email and attach it easily to a contact. The email client wouldn't need to do any more than that and would only act as a view port and selection mechanism.

But I accept this is an unlikely addition and will do a manual work around. I love VueMinder and would rather work as is than lose its functionality! :)
brianvic

Return to Suggestions