Excluding weekends, holidays, from event duration totals

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Excluding weekends, holidays, from event duration totals

Postby rkg82 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:25 am

Currently event dialog dynamically displays the total the number of days a multiple-day event lasts.
In order to schedule paid leave time, for example, summer vacation, I would like to be able to exclude certain days, weekends and holidays, for example, from the running total, so that the total coincides the number of days of paid leave.

Alternatively, I currently break down leave time into several events, running only over working days, in order to obtain accurate total number of leave days, although this requires manual calculation of totals for all related events.

Perhaps in this case it would be possible to flag a group of events as actually being just one, essentially just to have the total time for the entire group calculated and displayed dynamically somewhere.
rkg82

Re: Excluding weekends, holidays, from event duration totals

Postby VueSoft » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:21 pm

Hi rkg82, thanks for the suggestion. I believe the next version will do what you're suggesting.

For example, in the next version you could create a recurring weekly event that occurs on weekdays, and assign it to a category like "Paid Leave". Next, use the Events tab to view a listing of the events, and filter the categories so only "Paid Leave" is shown. You can also adjust the date range. Next, press Ctrl+A to select all the listed events. A status bar at the bottom of the list will provide a total duration of the selected events. Note, this feature will not be available in the Lite version.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby rkg82 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:43 am

Thanks for the update on the new feature. That sounds like a workable solution, and I'm looking forward to using it for other reasons, too.

In this particular case of paid leave, I have to approach the problem a bit differently, in that I have X days of paid leave to position. The crucial part is making sure a total of x days have been positioned, regardless of the actual dates, which can and do shift frequently at a moments notice.

Typically, I would want to do this visually on the month view, by extending the event widget left or right until I have the total number I need, that is, have positioned all available leave time, less weekends and holidays over which the event widget spreads. In that respect it would be nice to have the running total displayed directly in the widget, which would make it unnecessary to actually open the object for inspection. Granted that is overkill for an event of just a couple of days, but I'm talking about leave periods that typically last four or five weeks, multiplied by a dozen or so staff members who are subject to such long leave periods.

I might even want to lock down temporarily the total number of days, because typically the event will be shifted several times a couple of days or even weeks before or after the initial period. In some cases, I would simply want to cut and paste, or copy and paste the event to elsewhere in the year, and be sure that the total number of days does not budge unless I really want it to.

Anyway, thanks for the fine product. i'm using the Pro version.
rkg82

Postby VueSoft » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:28 am

Hi rkg82, you can see the total duration of the selected event in the "Details" area of the main window. The value will automatically update as the event edge is dragged left or right. You can also cut, copy, and paste using the commands on the Edit menu or the standard Ctrl+X, Ctrl+C, and Ctrl+V shortcuts.

A beta containing the sum-duration status bar in the Events tab is available, if you'd like an early look. It can be downloaded here:
http://www.vueminder.com/download/VueMi ... _BETA1.exe
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby rkg82 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:19 am

The latests 8.x release indeed improves nicely on this issue, giving me a dynamically updated running total for selected events.

One further suggestion, though, that you might like to consider:

In the Events list, individual event durations are typically displayed in the time unit specified in the Event dialog.

The new running total in the status bar displays the total converted to hours only.

In my case, because most of my events are measured, and invoiced, not in hours, but in days, i have to mentally convert the running total.

It would be nice for VC Pro to display the running total in days and hours, and why not weeks, months, etc.

In any case, very fine product.
rkg82

Postby VueSoft » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi rkg82, thank you for the suggestion. I'll work on improving this and will let you know when another update is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:25 pm

Version 8.3.1 has been released. This version will show the total number of days along with hours.

For example...
Selected: 8 events, Total duration: 45 hours (1.9 days)

To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions