Event Colors and Calendar Views

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Event Colors and Calendar Views

Postby dave-user » Sat May 07, 2011 11:43 am

Hi Dan,

The ability to colour events in VueMinder is great. However, it is difficult to design event coloring schemes that work well in all views, in the main calendar application and the desktop calendar, because the background colors vary between the different views.

In the main calendar, the day view has a background which is a mix of light greys, whereas the week/month/year views have backgrounds which are a mix of white and medium grey.

In the desktop calendar, the day view has a background which is a mix of light greys (similar to that in the main calendar), but the week/month views have backgrounds which are very dark grey (nothing like those in the main calendar).

So the main issue is that the week/month views have completely different backgrounds in the main calendar and the desktop calendar. This means that if you color an event in a light color to make it stand out on the desktop calendar, then it doesn't stand out in the main calendar, and vice versa with dark event colors.

Another issue, is that setting the event color to transparent doesn't seem to make the event color transparent -- it seems to make it white, which doesn't seem that useful -- unless I'm doing something wrong!

Regards, Dave
dave-user

Re: Event Colors and Calendar Views

Postby VueSoft » Sun May 08, 2011 10:18 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for the feedback. If you're using the Pro version, you can click the "Select Appearance Theme" button on the Desktop Calendar. This button is near the Opacity slider in the upper-right corner. After clicking the button, select the 'VueMinder.isl' theme file, which is the default appearance theme used by the main window. I'm not sure how else to solve the problem, since totally changing the event colors only for in the desktop calendar might be confusing.

As for the "transparent" event color - that's a special selection to basically say "make it completely see-through, without a color". That might be white, if the background is white. You could select transparent for one of the background colors, and then a solid color for the other background color. Use the gradient style drop-down to blend the color together (like "Vertical"), so you'll have a semi-transparent background color. You'll see whatever background color is used, like white or gray, partially shows through the event block.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions/suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Event Colors and Calendar Views

Postby dave-user » Mon May 09, 2011 4:44 am

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the prompt feedback.

With regard to event coloring schemes, my mistake, I had forgotten about the "Select Appearance Theme" button on the Desktop Calendar. I usually run the Desktop Calendar in Day View with a narrow window, so this icon had dropped off the toolbar onto to drop-down menu. I will look at the various themes to see which one works best with my event coloring scheme.

With regards to transparent event color, it does not operate the way I expect or the way you describe. I will investigate further so that I can make a more specific problem report.

Regards, Dave
dave-user

Return to Suggestions