Outlook Sync with Network sharing

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Outlook Sync with Network sharing

Postby Sunjhi » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:34 pm

I recently setup the VueMinder (8.1.1) on another home-group PC. Both are running Windows 7.

I setup the network sharing properly and all went well. However, it forced me to stop syncing with MS Outlook, which is imperative to me. I need to to both.

I need access to several calendars at the same time. I don't want to incur another expense for publishing the calendars, nor do I want to store them anywhere off-site due to the sensitive nature of the data. I use the Outlook sync to update my iPhone calendar automatically. Changes made to VueMinder will push to my Outlook, which also syncs to my iPhone no matter where in the country I am.

I know the workaround is to disable network share and sync with Outlook, then disable sync with Outlook and turn back on sharing.

Is there something in the works that will allow both to be turned on all the time?

Thanks~!

Doug
Sunjhi

Re: Outlook Sync with Network sharing

Postby VueSoft » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Hi Doug, thank you for the suggestion. Currently, syncing with Outlook is disabled when sharing calendars over your local network. This is due to the complexity and possible syncing issues that could arise from having both enabled at the same time. I do plan on enabling this capability in the future, but it will require a lot of testing to ensure it works correctly.

In the meantime, there is an easier method for pushing your shared calendars in VueMinder to Outlook - use the Export Events command, and select Outlook as the destination. When events are exported, any existing events in Outlook will be updated (not duplicated). This is sort of like a manual 1-way sync. You can also use the Import Events command to sync events in the opposite direction, from Outlook into your shared calendar. After importing, the new or updates events will sync across the network.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you find any problems when using this workaround.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Outlook Sync with Network sharing

Postby VueSoft » Thu May 19, 2011 12:46 am

Version 8.2 is being improved to support sharing of calendars that are also synced with Outlook. A beta is available here, if you'd like an early look.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions