Additional action: open URL or file in standard browser

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Additional action: open URL or file in standard browser

Postby enigmatic_user » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:54 pm

I'd find it very useful to have an additional action type: "Open URL or local file in standard browser". I'm a self-employed web developer who also offers web hosting, so there are several tasks that I have to do either on a regular basis or at given points in time that involve web-based or local scripts, so such an action would be quite helpful.

Cheers,
Jan
Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.
enigmatic_user

Re: Additional action: open URL or file in standard browser

Postby VueSoft » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi Jan, thank you for the suggestion. The action type you describe can be accomplished using the "Run a program" action type. To open a web page in your default browser, type in the URL for the "Executable" text. Similarly, to open a file, type in the full file path and name.

This probably isn't as intuitive as it could be, so I'll work in improving this, to make it more clear that these capabilities are provided. I'll post a reply when this improvement is completed.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby enigmatic_user » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:02 pm

VueSoft wrote:The action type you describe can be accomplished using the "Run a program" action type. To open a web page in your default browser, type in the URL for the "Executable" text. Similarly, to open a file, type in the full file path and name.

Oops, sorry about that. I guess I should have read the manual... :oops: But VueMinder Calendar is so intuitive that there was no need to do that.

VueSoft wrote:This probably isn't as intuitive as it could be, so I'll work in improving this, to make it more clear that these capabilities are provided.

I guess a simple supplementation of the label should do. I just didn't expect that a URL could be entered in a field labelled "executable". ;)

It's really great that this is already available, it will help me a lot. :)

Cheers,
Jan
enigmatic_user

Postby VueSoft » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:05 am

Hi Jan, I've improved this for the next version (8.1.2). The label wording has been changed to "Open a program, document, or URL". Also, depending on which you have selected, the input fields will adjust accordingly. This should be much more intuitive now. Thanks again for the suggestion!

If you'd like an early look, a release-candidate beta can be downloaded here.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby enigmatic_user » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:07 am

That's self-explanatory now, thanks! :)

Cheers,
Jan
enigmatic_user

Return to Suggestions