Timesheet

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Timesheet

Postby BillB » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi Dan, I'm a new user testing the trial vesion on 2 networked PCs. Having some minor issues with recurring events showing as duplicates, but nothing to put us off the software, which appears to have no competitors worth talking about :-)

Anyway, the point of of this post is to say that you very nearly have Timesheet software functionality built-in, which others are charging for as a standalone product.

- The week view allows the user to allocate time spent on specific projects as events. These could be assigned to a specific calendar eg "Timesheet".
    - The List view, with its excellent filtering, can filter by date range, and free text, and any of the entries listed etc etc.
    - The data can be shared across a workgroup, so a team leader could collate time spent by staff.
    - The only thing that would be needed to make this a useful place to record time spent on projects, is the ability to sum the duration column in the list view...

What do you think?
BillB

Re: Timesheet

Postby VueSoft » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi BillB, welcome to the forums and thank you for the suggestion. I believe I could add a summary area at the bottom of the list, with an option to turn this summary area on or off. The summary would show the total number of events currently listed, as well as their total duration. I've added this idea to my to-do list and will let you know when it's completed.

In the meantime, you can export the currently displayed event list to Excel by clicking the "List" button in the upper-right corner, and then clicking "Export to Excel". Excel could be used to show the total duration of the listed events. Note, in order for this to work, you'll need to have both the Start and End columns visible (the duration column is treated as text and won't give a sum in Excel). You'll also need to go into the Calendar Options and change the "Date/time format" to the short date format (example: 12/6/2010 9:47 PM), which Excel can usually process. Note, while testing this I found a bug where some rows don't use the short date text format. A correction has been made for the next version.

After exporting, add a column called "Hours" and set its formula to subtract the Start column's value from the End column's value. Multiple this value by 24 to convert to hours. At the bottom of the list, add a formula to sum the hours. I've attached an example spreadsheet so you can see the formulas. It's not a perfect workaround because you'll need to enter the formulas after each export, but I hope you'll still find it helpful while I work on adding the requested summary area.
Attachments
events.zip
(4.41 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby BillB » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:41 am

Dan

Thanks for taking the idea onboard and for the workaround and example. Exporting to Excel is great where a little more statistical analysis might be required, but as you say, will require addition of formulas etc.

One thing I think might improve the Excel export is if there was a way to make it reflect the current List view (so take the visible calendars, date range etc from the List view filters). I can see myself tagging up events using project names, then using the free text filter to select only entries for that project, within a Calendar called "BBTimesheet", and perhaps also my colleague's "EBTimesheet" - so the List view controls are ideal for this kind of filtering.

Having a current total on-screen without the need to export (updated with each filter operation) would provide a really quick way to view time spent on a project and would be a tremendous aid to invoicing clients.

Thanks again.
BillB

Postby VueSoft » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:39 pm

BillB, are you using the Export to Excel command from the "List" drop-down button in the upper-right corner of the List? You can also get this command by right-clicking the empty area in the list below the last event row.

This command is different than the "Export Events" command on the File menu, since it exports the List view exactly as shown (filters, column order, etc). In other words, if you have filtered the Event List, try using the "Export to Excel" command within the List to get the filtered list into Excel.

If you're seeing cases where the "Export to Excel" command is exporting more rows than what you see in the list, please let me know.

I'll post a response to this thread when the summary area has been added. If you haven't subscribed to receive notifications, there's a subscription link at the bottom of the page.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby BillB » Thu May 26, 2011 4:32 am

Hi Dan

While I was on the board I thought I would bump this one. I can see that you have been busy, quite reasonably aiming to resolve all issues with shared calendars and I appreciate that must be top priority.

However, I think my idea is BRILLIANT because, if implemented, you could sell VueMinder into the Timesheet market. To repeat my point:

....you very nearly have Timesheet software functionality built-in, which others are charging for as a standalone product.

- The week view allows the user to allocate time spent on specific projects as events. These could be assigned to a specific calendar eg "Timesheet".
- The List view, with its excellent filtering, can filter by date range, and free text, and any of the entries listed etc etc.
- The data can be shared across a workgroup, so a team leader could collate time spent by staff.
- The only thing that would be needed to make this a useful place to record time spent on projects, is the ability to sum the duration column in the list view...

Obviously I would like to have this functionality for myself, but I believe it could really add a USP to VueMinder - "Manage your workgroup timesheets, calendars etc in one place, no need for separate applications!"

Thanks.
BillB

Postby VueSoft » Fri May 27, 2011 12:05 am

Hi BillB, thanks for the nudge. ;)

I still have this on my planned improvement list. I apologize it didn't make it into 8.2, but it's high on the priority list for an upcoming release.

I'm planning on keeping it simple, and just show a status bar at the bottom of the list (similar to Excel), with the sum duration of all selected rows. I'll let you know when this feature is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby BillB » Fri May 27, 2011 2:39 am

Thanks Dan, simple is great, rather like how, at present, it shows the number of events in the status bar at the bottom of the screen, just a total of the displayed durations would be great. My thinking is that I would have a "Timesheet" calendar for each member of staff. In the week view they would create a new event equating to the time spent on that project, and give it the project reference number. Then all I have to do is view staff Timesheet calendars only, filter by project reference number, decide on my date range, and I have all the time info I need for invoicing. Excellent!
BillB

Postby VueSoft » Fri May 27, 2011 10:16 pm

Hi Bill, I've completed this for the next version. There's no ETA yet on when the next release will be available, but I'll post another reply when it's available. Thank you for your patience, and please let me know if you have any other suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby BillB » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:22 pm

Dan, just to say thanks very much and I hope you can release it as a minor update soon. I could really use it for my current crop of invoicing!
BillB

Postby VueSoft » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:21 am

Hi Bill, if you're interested, a beta of 8.2.2 is available. It's not the final beta and some additional improvements are planned, but it's stable and has the sum duration status bar described above.
http://www.vueminder.com/download/VueMi ... _BETA1.exe

To see the status bar, go to the Events tab and select two or more rows. The bar will appear at the bottom of the list.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Next

Return to Suggestions