Windows Phone 7 Version

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Windows Phone 7 Version

Postby Darwin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi Dan,

I just bought a Windows 7 phone and wonder if you will be developing a version of VueMinder to run on that platform? I'm a bit frustrated by the lack of synchronization between Windows 7 Phone and Outlook.
Darwin

Re: Windows Phone 7 Version

Postby VueSoft » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi Darwin, thank you for the suggestion. I'm not sure if I'll be developing a Windows Phone version, but it's certainly something I'm considering.

In the meantime, I believe you could use Google Calendar as an intermediary for syncing between VueMinder and your Windows phone. Here's a link with more information:
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138636&topic=14299
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Darwin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:21 am

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the reply. I tried unsuccessfully to use both the Google Calendar Sync app and the Outlook Connector to do this before my original post. The issue with Google Map synching and the Windows phone is that ONLY the default Google calendar gets synchronized and Outlook and VueMinder Calendars are synched as sedcondary calendars within Google.

Anyway, after reading your post I tried the Outlook Connector again and got it to work (for anyone else trying this, my issue was with trying to follow directions for a slightly earlier version of Outlook Connector). It works well, though I wish MS in their infinite wisdom would allow direct synchronization between Outlook and Windows Phone 7. If I can get it to work on an iPod Touch 4 then I should darned well be able to do it with an MS product! Hopefully they'll remedy this in the future.

As an aside, other than this niggle (which is effectively a non-issue, now) I love the OS, so all is well...

Thank you again,

Mike

PS I suppose, on reflection, what would really be more useful than either a VueMinder Calendar app or MS support for Outlook synchronization for Windows Phone 7 is VueMinder Calendar support for synching with Windows Live Calendar. I have no idea if this is allowed by Microsoft or technically feasible, but thought I'd float it. The more I think about it, the more i realize that this is really what I'm after... Currently, I have VM Cal synching with Outlook Calendar. I have Outlook Connector installed and will have to mirror VM Cal changes in Windows Live Calendar manually from within Outlook. Cumbersome...
Last edited by Darwin on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darwin

Postby Darwin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:27 am

PPS sorry for the multiple, lengthy posts. Just to note, the Google Sync solution linked to above applies to Windows Mobile 6.5 and eariler but will not work with Windows Phone 7. Google has released a new application called Google Calendar Sync to handle this. This is the version that I attempted to use and has the limitation that I mentioned in my previous post.
Darwin

Postby VueSoft » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:16 pm

Hi Darwin, thank you for the information. Have you tried configuring VueMInder to sync with your primary Google Calendar, or does it not appear in the list of calendars you get when using the "Add Google Calendar" command in VueMinder?

PS I suppose, on reflection, what would really be more useful than either a VueMinder Calendar app or MS support for Outlook synchronization for Windows Phone 7 is VueMinder Calendar support for synching with Windows Live Calendar. I have no idea if this is allowed by Microsoft or technically feasible, but thought I'd float it.

I agree, this would be a very useful improvement. Unfortunately, I think Microsoft also understands how important this would be, which is why they don't provide an API for connecting to Windows Live Calendar from programs like VueMinder. It's Microsoft...being Microsoft. :roll:
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Darwin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:33 pm

VueSoft wrote:I agree, this would be a very useful improvement. Unfortunately, I think Microsoft also understands how important this would be, which is why they don't provide an API for connecting to Windows Live Calendar from programs like VueMinder. It's Microsoft...being Microsoft. :roll:

:lol: Sadly, this is what I expected... :roll:

Regarding your question about Google synching... er, the short answer is I'm not sure. I'll investigate and report back.
Darwin

Postby Darwin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:43 pm

Hmm... what this investigative effort has done is highlight a problem I was having yesterday but which is on-going today, after a system re-start. I find that the Share menu from the main calendar frequently doesn't do anything. For example, I just selected a calendar and then Share -> Google Calendar Sync but nothing happens (ie no dialog pops up). I then tried to open Edit -> Properties with the same result. FWIW, the was no sync with Outlook in progress at the time. Also, I've just noted that it doesn't affect all calendars "equally" - I selected a different one and was able to check out the sharing options.

Anyway, the Share -> Google Calendar Sync dialog doesn't give an option to sync with an existing calendar.
Darwin

Postby VueSoft » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:24 pm

Could you try the latest beta, and let me know if any error message appears when attemting to open the Calendar Properties window? It sounds like there might be some error opening the window. The beta is more verbose in reporting error conditions, so maybe that will give me an idea of where the problem is located.

To sync an existing calendar with Google, after opening the Calendar Properties window, switch to the "Google Calendar" tab. A checkbox will cause the calendar to become synced with Google. Note, this is probably not what you're wanting ,though. I think you want to add your primary Google Calendar to VueMinder. This would be the calendar that syncs with Windows Phone via Google Calendar Sync. To add the calendar, select the "Add Google Calendar" command from the File menu. You should see the calendar in the list.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Darwin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:24 am

Hi Dan,

What I was after is a way to get two of my existing VueMinder Calendars onto my Windows Phone 7 device and keep them sync'd, so the Google Calendar Sync is the way to go. I've got it jury rigged through Windows Live Calendar and the Outlook Connector, so all is well. I *think* perhaps you were suggesting linking my primary Google Calendar to VueMinder Calendar and then adding my tasks/events into it to keep them synced? I might try this as WP7 allows limited colour coding of events - you can select different colours for each calendar that you sync with, so Red for Windows Live, Blue for Google, etc. This would give me a way to keep the two calendar's events distinct on my phone...

Anyway, I installed and played with the beta (seems a bit snappier to me) and was unable to get it to lock up when attempting to share any calendar via the Share Menu. The File -> Add Google Calendar dialog popped up and worked flawlessly as well.

I'll let VueMinder Calendar beta run for a bit and try again later. If any errors occur I'll post back in the beta thread.

Thank you for your help (and for VueMinder Calendar ;)
Darwin

Return to Suggestions