Event, task & note windows not modal

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Event, task & note windows not modal

Postby itechlang » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:31 pm

Hello,

There might be a reason behind this but it would be more convenient to have the window we use to create all the tasks, events and notes not modal.

We need to close this window each time if we want to check something in the calendar or if we want to dismiss/snooze events for example.

Could we have this changed or there is a technical reason for this?

Thank you,
Stéphane
itechlang

Re: Event, task & note windows not modal

Postby VueSoft » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. There are technical reasons why it is designed this way. For example, if the event editor were non-modal, a user could reschedule (or worse, delete) an event from the calendar view while its editor window is open. This could lead to other problems.

However, I agree it would be more user-friendly if these editors were non-modal. I'll add this to my to-do list. Thanks again for the suggestion!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby itechlang » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:50 pm

Yes it would be more user-friendly.
In my case for example I am writing different notes over the day and then I would like to see 2 or more in the same time but I cannot.

Thank you Dan for taking note of this!
itechlang

Postby VueSoft » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:35 pm

The next version (7.5.0) has been improved to allow multiple event, task, and note editor windows to be open at the same time. A "Save" button has also been added to the top of the editor windows to allow changes to be saved, but the window to remain open. If changes are made and the window is closed without saving, a message will be displayed asking if you want to save the changes.

Here's how it looks. The editor windows can be repositioned anywhere on the screen after opening.

A beta of the Pro version is available, if you'd like an early look.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Thats an impressive addition Dan, could I test the beta version please.

Best Regards

gjbth
gjbth

Postby VueSoft » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:01 pm

Here's the link to the beta. Note, this is not a final release-candidate beta and additional improvements are still planned for 7.5.0:
http://www.vueminder.com/download/VueMi ... _BETA2.exe

Please let me know if you find any problems. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:03 pm

Thank you Dan, downloading it now.
gjbth

Postby gjbth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:25 pm

The 'Save and Close' and the 'Save and Stay Open' are nice additions Dan, what about a 'Save and New' button, so that multiple events can be added without having to re-open the dialog. basically it would save the event, then reset the entry fields ready for a new event to be entered.
gjbth

Postby VueSoft » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:09 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll add another button at the top of the editor window for doing this, and will let you know when the next beta is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:14 pm

A new beta is available. This version adds a "Save and New" button to the top of the Event, Task, and Note editor windows. Clicking this button will save the current changes and create a new item within the same editor window. If you have a large number of items to create, this button will provide a fast way of doing it.

Also, "Previous" and "Next" items buttons have been added. These buttons allow navigation between notes, tasks, and events without having to close the editor window. When clicked, the previous or next sequential item will be (quickly) displayed in the same editor window. There's a similar feature in Outlook, except it's slower because it has to close the current window and open a new one, and it also only works for items within the current view. VueMinder will scroll to the previous/next item if it's not already displayed in the view.

Here's the download link:
http://www.vueminder.com/download/VueMi ... _BETA3.exe

Please let me know if you find any problems or have any other suggestions. Also note, this beta is not the final product for 7.5.0. Additional corrections and improvements are still planned.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Next

Return to Suggestions