Year Planner view

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Year Planner view

Postby Dormouse » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:40 pm

I find a proper year planner view (preferably with a choice of periods ranging from say 6 months to 24 months) extremely useful for looking at events over a longer period. It is really good for planning. The current simple year view just doesn't cut it.

Examples to look at would be Calimanjaro (now abandoned), GemX Do-Organizer, and Essential PIM (though I prefer the first two implementations).
Attachments
26-09-2010 20-28-10-470x669.jpg
Do-Organizer Year View
26-09-2010 20-28-10-470x669.jpg (67.99 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
26-09-2010 20-26-38-422x480.jpg
Do-Organizer Year Planner
26-09-2010 20-26-38-422x480.jpg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
26-09-2010 20-24-42-470x394.jpg
Calimanjaro
26-09-2010 20-24-42-470x394.jpg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
Dormouse

Re: Year Planner view

Postby VueSoft » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Dormouse, welcome to the forums and thank you for the suggestion. I've added this to my list and will let you know when it's completed.

In the meantime, you could try arranging the window to show the Year View and List View side by side (drag the view's tab to the edge of the window to make a new tab group). Set the date range for the List View to be "The selected dates". The date colors in the Year View will indicate activities occurring on those dates, which you can hover over to see more detail, or click to see the full details in the List View. It's a bit different than the other programs you mentioned, but I think this might be a viable alternative until I complete the requested improvements to the current Year View.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's what I'm describing:

Please let me know if you have questions on how to arrange the window to look like the screenshot.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Dormouse » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:05 pm

Thanks indeed for taking this idea on board. :) :) :)

The year view / planner issue is the most important one for me in considering calendar programs - possibly because so few implement it well. Calimanjaro remains my most used/default calendar app despite being effectively discontinued for some years (and formally discontinued for quite a while now) because it is very quick to define and switch between different time periods (1 day to 2 years) and it is easy to see everything graphically; I find it relatively pretty too.

Thanks for the suggested workaround. I managed to set it up like that, but what it doesn't do is show me the picture of my commitments/resources etc (depending on the calendar I'm viewing) which is what I find really helpful when looking at a longer period. What I will probably try is keeping stuff in VueMinder and then exporting each calendar and importing it into Calimanjaro for viewing; or maybe vice versa for the Google Calendar syncing; and hoping that you do manage to implement it soonish.
Dormouse

Postby VueSoft » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:17 pm

Another option you might try, while waiting for the Year View improvements, would be the Timeline view. You can adjust the column interval, and resize the rows and columns by dragging their edges. In the screenshot below, several calendars are displayed with an interval of 1 week and a range of appoximately 1 year. You can't really make out the named ofthe events without cursoring over them, but it does provide a better way of visualizing your schedule over a longer period of time with more detail than the Year View.

If you want to overlay the calendars into a single row, you can also enable the "View in Overlay Mode" option under the Timeline View settings. Here's how that would look:

Is this more along the lines of what you're looking for?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Dormouse » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Yes, that is certainly closer.
Thank you.
Dormouse

Return to Suggestions