Offer to complete past-due recurring events

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Offer to complete past-due recurring events

Postby appyface » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi Dan,

I would like to request VueMinder Pro offer to complete and delete all past-due events generated from creating/editing recurrence info, at the time the event/task is saved? Or perhaps not generate any in the past (keeping the 'seed' for the series of course).

Just now I was setting up the birthdays of my friends who are, um, let's say 'older' :lol: Since I am starting the recurrence data with their actual birthdates, several past-due annual events are created.

It's no biggie to open up the date range on the List display, then find and complete then delete the past due events. Just would be nice if VueMinder Pro had an option to do that for me.

Thanks for your consideration.

Kind regards,
--appyface
appyface

Re: Offer to complete past-due recurring events

Postby appyface » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:57 pm

I would also like to request the occurance # shown on an item, be a calculation from the original 'seed' item's recurs information, and not be dependent on keeping the past-due occurences in the program?

I have cleaned up (deleted) all my past-due occurances and now the occurance number showing is not correct for birthdays and anniversaries. Or did I miss finding the way to do that?

Thanks for help and regards,
--appyface
appyface

Postby VueSoft » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Rather than deleting previous occurrences, you could mark them as completed (right-click and select "Completed") and then uncheck the "Show Completed Events" option on the View menu. This will hide any events that have been marked as being completed, and won't mess up the occurrence counter.

For birthdays, rather than starting the series on the year the person was born, you could start it on the current year and then enter an appropriate starting number for the occurrence counter in the Event Editor window. Instead of the occurrence counter starting at 0, it will start at the specified number.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby appyface » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the ideas. I do like to display my completed events and tasks, and clean them up when no longer needed, so for me not a good workaround maybe that will help someone else though.

May I still ask for this to be a wish list item? To calculate the occurences rather than rely on the presence of the data records? This really only applies to annual recurring events, as the method you currently use is probably desirable for other recurrence intervals...?

Kind regards,
--appyface
appyface

Postby VueSoft » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:59 pm

I could add an option to count deleted events when determining the occurrence number. I've added this to my list of future improvements.

In the meantime, you could define a new category named something like "Sort of Deleted", and then uncheck this category in the list of categories so it will be filtered. Instead of deleting occurrences, assign them to this category. Note, if the occurrence was previously modified, like being marked completed, then you can do this using the context menu. Otherwise, you'll need to do it from the Event Editor window so the entire series doesn't get re-assigned. After assigning the occurrence to the filtered category, it will be hidden in the calendar view without throwing off your occurrence numbers.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions