Google Earth and Contacts - New option

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Google Earth and Contacts - New option

Postby lsdfr » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:35 am

I've been using Google Earth for a number of years to keep the address of customers, right down to their actual house plus I put phone number and info in the description. All this info is kept in a single file called My Places.kmz (Standard)

Using a program called Tyre to Travel (ww.tyretotravel.com), the kmz vile can be imported, converted to a TomTom POI file and be installed onto a TomTom device. Great when traveling around and you have to go to another customer. Tyre can do other GPS devices like Garmin
With the Tyre program you can also download a favorite(s), which you marked because you spent half an hour trying to find a place :roll: because the address the customer gave you was wrong :evil: , You can convert them and import them into Google Earth for the next time.
You can also use Earth to street walk the location, so when they email you it the Big house with Yellow Gates you stand a chance of finding places - I work in rural France here :o

Now with VueMinder Ultimate I can add an contact, and then, the only way I've found so far, to add a Earth location is to save a individual persons location to a separate KMZ file in Earth and then attached it using the Files tab under Ultimate.
Double clicking on the attached kmz file does open up Google Earth and take you to the location, the kmz file gets added to the Temporary Places even though its already in the My Places, you have to select "Discard" when closing down Earth to avoid multiple entries.
Plus there's no indication that a contact has an file attached in the main contact window

Dan could you look at some way of having better Google Earth integration, maybe using the My Places file ? :)
The order of the main KMZ file must change when you add and sort it under Earth so this may be a problem

Thanks

Leigh
lsdfr

Re: Google Earth and Contacts - New option

Postby VueSoft » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:53 pm

Hi Leigh, thank you for the suggestion. I will consider this for a future release. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions