New View Suggestion

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

New View Suggestion

Postby wealy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:33 am

Hi, Thanks for your great program, I have been using Calamanjaro (ex Yagoon and ex ex Time Calendar) since 2004. Its been great, sadly they no longer support it and I have been looking for a new one for some time. Yours is the closest yet. The one thing we used the most was the vertical month view 1 day per line,in fact we displayed 2 months side by side. It gave a very easy view of 2 mths in fact you can display up to 24 mths side by side. Being able to see say holidays in a vertical column for 3 weeks is visually easy to see. You need to see it to appreciate it, I have found no other program that does it. I have played Vue for a few weeks now and it would be great to be able to import a calandar to a catagory.

Thanks for your time

Cheers

Steve
wealy

Re: New View Suggestion

Postby VueSoft » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi Steve, welcome to the forums.

Thank you for the suggestion. If you're using the Pro version, I believe the "Event List" area of the window can be used to achieve close to what you're looking for. You can set the list to display an entire year, and then use the little filter button in the column header to selectively filter the rows that are displayed. For example, if you only want to see holidays, you could click the filter button and then uncheck all the non-holiday calendars that you don't want to see in the list.

The next version is adding a ton of new features and a total redesign of the main window. Instead of only allowing one view at a time (Day, Week, or Month), it will allow simulataneous display of any combination of view types. This arrangment of the view types can be done by clicking the corresponding view's tab and dragging to the desired docking location within the window. Also, new view types of "Year" and "Timeline" are being added (Pro version only).

This is still in work and subject to change, but here are a couple screenshots to give you an idea of the improvements that are coming. As you can see from these screenshots, the way the window is arranged is very flexible. All you need to do to change the layout is drag either the view's tab or the docking pane's title. Views can be combined in a single area of the screen and selected by clicking the view's tab, or split out into whatever area of the screen you'd like.

preview2.png
In this example, the Event List is used to show only holidays for the year. The Day view is docked along the right-side of the screen, below the Event List. The Details pane and Clock are docked at the bottom of the window.
preview2.png (232.22 KiB) Viewed 2075 times

preview3.png
This example shows the Year view. The Day view is docked along the right side, and the Details pane has been moved to dock on the left. The view type can be switched by clicking the appropriate tab.
preview3.png (303.1 KiB) Viewed 2075 times

Regarding the ability to import into a category, you can right-click a calendar after importing and select the desired category from the "Categorize" submenu. All events belonging to the calendar (i.e., the events that were just imported if the calendar is new) will be assigned to the selected category.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:19 pm

This looks like something special Dan :D , is the release a long way off yet?.

Best Regards

gjbth
gjbth

Postby VueSoft » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:47 pm

I don't have an expected release date yet. I keep thinking it's only a few weeks away, but then I find more things to improve. ;)

I'm guessing it will be at least another 6-8 weeks. There are a lot of changes going into this release, including big underlying improvements to how data is stored and shared. The help documentation is going to need to major updating as well, and that alone could take several weeks. This release will be, by far, the largest single update made to the program since the original release.

If you're interested in helping to beta test, I can send you a beta version when it's ready.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:55 am

If you're interested in helping to beta test, I can send you a beta version when it's ready.

I certainly am, just let me know when you have a beta ready.

Best Regards

gjbth
gjbth

Return to Suggestions