Custom "per day" colour?

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Custom "per day" colour?

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Newbie here.......
Is it possible to select background colours for selected days on a "per day" basis?

Thanks,
Bob.
Bob

Re: Custom "per day" colour?

Postby VueSoft » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi Bob, welcome to the forums.

If you're using the Pro version, there is an option for the highlight (aka background) color to be used for dates that are selected. This is under the Appearance Options, in the "Date Appearance" area. Check the "Use date selection highlight color" and then specify the highlight color you'd like to use. Note, if you have multiple days selected, the same highlight color is used for all selected days - there's no option to change the highlight color based on the day of week.

If you weren't referring to "selected" days in your question, there is a way to change the date number color for each day of the week, regardless of whether it is clicked/selected. This is under the "Date Appearance" area of the Appearance Options. Click the "Use advanced date color settings" option, and then click the "Advanced" button. A window will appear allowing you to customize the color used for the date numbers, based on the day of week (Monday, Tuesday, etc). Each day of the week can have it's own color assigned.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Hey Dan.
Ta, but not quite..........
I'd like to custom colour a group/number of days, these being for the various Victorian (Australian) school terms.

Is this possible?

Thanks mate.
Bob

Postby VueSoft » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi Bob. Thanks for clarifying, I understand what you're asking now. There's no option for this, per se, but you could use some of the other capabilities of the program to get something pretty close to what you're asking. Here's how...

First, create a new calendar using the "New Calendar" command. Name it "School Terms" or whatever you'd like. Also, make sure you're on the "Calendars" tab of the "Calendar Items" area, so you can see your new calendar in the list.

Next, create new events for each of the school terms, making sure they are assigned to the "School Terms" calendar. For example, if you're in New South Wales, create an event for Term 1 with a start date of January 27 and end date of April 1. If you want a different color for each school term, in the Event Editor window, click the "Appearance" tab and customize the color of the event. Repeat for terms 2 through 4.

As you create the events, observe the Navigation Pane. You'll see the dates for each school term are colored accordingly. You can also go to the Appearance Options window and enable the option labeled "Use event colors for date numbers in Day, Week, and Month views". This will cause the header in the Day, Week, and Month views for each day within the school term to be colored according.

Note, the colors are based on the first event in each date. If you see a mix of colors because you have other calendars/events, you can uncheck your other calendars in the Calendar List to temporarily filter them, which will force the dates to use the school term event colors.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:52 pm

Also, you may be interested to know the next version will include a whole "Year" view. I created a School Term calendar using the steps shown above. You can see a preview of what it would look like below.
preview.png
Preview of the Year view in VueMinder Calendar 7.0. This is subject to change.
preview.png (290.38 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:05 pm

Bewdy!
Thanks mate.
Bob

Return to Suggestions