Selecting various dates for a single event

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Selecting various dates for a single event

Postby bill@spikowski.com » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:49 am

I often have events that recur at the same time but on an irregular schedule (e.g. Monday this week, Wednesday next week, and three weeks from Friday; or usually on the last day of the month, but a different day on certain months; or on a seemingly random pattern dictated say by holidays).

I can't find any way for Vueminder to accommodate these events other than by making them separate events. That works but makes a common task more difficult. Why not have the software show a small monthly calendar and let the user select an irregular schedule by clicking on specific days? Then when that schedule changes, the same small monthly calendar would be presented -- so that previously selected days could be unselected, or new days could be added.
bill@spikowski.com

Re: Selecting various dates for a single event

Postby VueSoft » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:22 am

Hi bill, thanks for the suggestion. I have this on my list of planned improvements. I'll post a reply when it's completed.

In the meantime, if you already know which irregular dates the event should occur on, you could create one instance of the event. Copy the event (Ctrl+C) and then click another date it should occur. The event can be pasted (Ctrl+V) into the selected date. Repeat for the other dates. This workaround might not be as easy as picking dates from a mini calendar, but it's better than creating the event from scratch on each date.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby bill@spikowski.com » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:45 am

I'll try that suggestion in the meantime!

This 'select various dates' idea is probably the feature I miss most from my previous calendar software.

I was able to pick a selection of dates directly from a small calendar, but my preferred method was to set up a recurring event (like a recurring deadline for paying taxes or filing reports) with no end date, then adjust the individual dates if/as needed using the small calendar. It wasn't a feature I paid much attention to or would ever have commented on -- but boy have I missed it since it's been gone....
bill@spikowski.com

Postby VueSoft » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:30 am

Hi Bill, you can create a recurring series (with no end date) in VueMinder and then drag-and-drop individual occurrences to different dates when needed. Maybe that will also help?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby bill@spikowski.com » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:16 pm

I had no idea that I could drag an event to a new date -- to change the date for an event, I've been double-clicking the event, waiting 5 or 10 seconds for it to open, then selecting a new date.

That's a very useful feature to implement my recurring-event scenario -- and I'll also use it for everyday rescheduling now that I see how easy it is!
bill@spikowski.com

Return to Suggestions