Google Calendar Sync is Coming

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Google Calendar Sync is Coming

Postby VueSoft » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:48 am

I'm making really good progress on the next major version of VueMinder Calendar Pro, which will include automatic 2-way Google Calendar sync. This will allow you to access your Google Calendar while offline and use the VueMinder Calendar interface to update your Google Calendar events. It will also allow access to your calendars via the web and from other computers that don't have VueMinder Calendar installed.

I'm looking for anyone that is tech-savvy, uses Google Calendar, and is interested in helping beta test the next release. I expect this beta will be ready within the next week or two. If you're interested, please let me know by sending me an email at support@vuesoftsite.com. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Google Calendar Sync is Coming - HERE!

Postby VueSoft » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:18 am

Version 6.0.0 has been released, and includes Google Calendar sync. Thank you to all the beta testers that helped test this release. A blog article with more details will be coming soon (hey, it's after 1:00 AM and I'm tired), but here's a quick summary of how Google Calendar sync works in VueMinder Calendar.

In the Lite version, 1-way sync (Google to VueMinder) is supported. This allows offline viewing of Google Calendar events, but any changes made locally will not be synced back to Google Calendar. That requires the Pro version - just one more reason to upgrade!

The Pro version supports both 1-way (either direction) and 2-way (both directions) sync with Google Calendar. The default behavior is to sync automatically whenever changes are detected in either VueMinder or Google Calendar. The only events synced are the ones that changed since the previous sync, so it's really fast. It also does it in the background, so you don't have to wait for an hour-glass cursor to go away while the sync is being processed. As with most things in VueMinder Calendar, options are provided to tailor the way syncing happens. You can change from automatic sync to manual, or sync at a certain frequency (5 min, 10 min, 30 min, hourly, daily, weekly).

To add an existing Google Calendar to VueMinder, using either Lite or Pro, click the "Add Google Calendar" command from the File menu. After logging into Google Calendar, a list of your Google Calendars will be displayed. Simply click a calendar to select it, and then click the "Add Calendar" button to add it to VueMinder. You can also adjust the sync settings and calendar color on this window. There's no messing with calendar addresses, public vs. private feed URLs, or any of that nonsense. It's as easy as can be.

To add a local calendar defined in VueMinder to your Google Calendar, open the Calendar Properties window and go to the "Google Calendar" tab. Note, this tab won't be visible if the calendar is subscribed or published, since that causes conflicts with Google Calendar sync. On the Google Calendar tab, you'll see a checkbox to sync the calendar with Google. Simply click the checkbox and the calendar will be added to Google and queued to sync. You can also adjust the sync settings, if desired. Again, there's no messing with URLs or any of the other hoops you need to jump through to configure Google Sync with other calendar applications. It's a simple 1-click and you're done.

Enjoy!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Google Calendar Sync is Coming

Postby xixus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:13 am

:mrgreen:

Hello Dan Chartrand,

that is the great function! I love this calendar!
This is the best of all Softwarecalendars.

Greetings from germany
Michel
xixus

Return to Suggestions