date range on event list drop down

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

date range on event list drop down

Postby gjbth » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:28 am

Could the event list date range drop down be extended to include a setting for 'all'.

So when clicked the entire calendar is displayed. rather than selecting a range of dates.

Best regards

gjbth
gjbth

Re: date range on event list drop down

Postby VueSoft » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:06 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. There are some technical difficulties this would pose, since event occurrences for recurring series are calculated - so if you selected "All dates" for the range, and had recurring events with no end date specified, the list would be infinite.

I don't think an "All dates" option would work, but I could add "This calendar year" as an option. Also, you can currently adjust the date range, and it should save the selected range. So, if you wanted every event from the past 3 years, through the next 3 years, you could set a date range of 6 years and the Event List would show them all. The downside is, it would also decrease the run-time performance, because the longer the list, the more processing is required to keep it updated. Depending on how many events are in the list, the performance hit could be significant.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:14 pm

yes you are right, I have tried setting the date range back several years and it slows down to snail pace.

When I used Calendarscope, it had an event list view. The user chose the item type (individual calendars in Vueminder) and the list displayed every event for that type. It displayed instantly even going back many years, but you had no control over the dates displayed, if I remember correctley it was all or nothing.

It was handy though being able to see a complete list of all the events in an individual calendar
gjbth

Postby VueSoft » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:46 pm

I've been tossing around the idea of improving the Details pane to show all events belonging to a calendar. As with events or tasks, clicking the calendar name would cause the Details pane to update. A list of events belonging to the calendar would be displayed, maybe with some additional controls to filter the date range.

I still need to think through the details of how it would be designed, but it sounds like this might be the type of capability you're looking for. This approach would also be much faster than trying to show all events in the Event List. I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:15 am

Version 5.3.0 adds some additional date range options to the Event List (as well as other dialogs that use a date range, such as Export and Print). The new options are "The next 90 days", "The next 180 days", and "This calendar year".

Note, the Details Pane improvement I mentioned above has not been implemented in version 5.3.0. It's still planned for a future release.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions