Sync to Multiple Google Accounts

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Sync to Multiple Google Accounts

Postby kilkenny6 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:37 pm

Please bring back the ability to do this. Please!
kilkenny6

Re: Sync to Multiple Google Accounts

Postby VueSoft » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:52 pm

Syncing with multiple accounts won't work due to changes Google made in the latest API. However, there's an easy workaround:
1. On the Google Calendar webpage, log into the account that is not synced with VueMinder.
2. Click the drop-down arrow next to the calendar you want to sync with VueMinder and select "Share this calendar".
3. Share the calendar with the Google account that you're syncing with VueMinder.
4. In VueMinder, add the shared calendar using the "Add Google Calendar" command on the File menu.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Low Speed Endos » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:31 pm

I hate to say it, but the change to using the latest Google API has made this program useless for me. It's a shame.

I have multiple Google Accounts and with automatic synchronization enabled, I can't control which account I'm logged into when VueMinder does it's synchronization.

I can't make any sense over how VueMinder syncs with Google Calendar. Before I realized how things changed, I had some new events synchronized to the wrong Google account. I logged out of this account and logged into the account that I want to synchronize with. I did a manual sync I never see the events in Google Calendar.

The suggestion you offer to share the calendar isn't a good solution. There is a reason I haven't shared the calendar to the other account. Regardless, I gave it a try and it didn't work for me. Instead of syncing with the shared calendar, it created a new calendar with the same name and synced the new events to that calendar.

Finally, I have access to a number of shared calendars that I have read only access. I specify a 1-way sync. None of these have synced since I updated to 11.0 and it still isn't working with 11.0.1

Steve
Low Speed Endos

Postby VueSoft » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:39 pm

Hi Steve, thank you for the feedback. Just to clarify how it works, when you initially configure VueMinder to sync with Google Calendar, VueMinder will use whichever Google account is currently logged in. However, after enabling access you could log out of that Google account and into a different one. From that point onward, it doesn't matter which account is currently logged in. In other words, you don't need to log your web browser out of one Google account and into another one in preparation for VueMinder to sync with previously added calendars.

If you need to switch which account VueMinder is syncing with, easiest thing would be to follow these steps:

1. Remove any calendars from VueMinder that are currently configured to sync with Google Calendar.

2. Click the "Add Google Calendar" command on the File menu.

3. Click the "Use a different account" button in the upper-left corner.

4. Make sure your web browser is logged into the correct account. This is the one and only time it matters. As mentioned above, after access is granted you could be logged into any other account without affecting VueMinder's ability to sync.

5. After enabling VueMinder to access your account, add the desired calendars. If you've shared calendars with this account from your other accounts, those calendars should appear in the list of available calendars.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Low Speed Endos » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:44 pm

Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply. It certainly helped with my understanding of how the synchronization works. After a fair amount of work, I have things working again.

One thing that contributed to my confusion was a misleading message when I did Share->Google Calendar Sync. Even after things were synchronizing again, it indicated that the calendar had never synced. After several minutes (possibly as many as 10), it finally indicated the correct status.

I still think there is a problem with VueMinder incorrectly creating Google calendars. I tried repeatedly to add new events in VueMinder to my existing Google calendar and over and over again, a new calendar was created on Google with the same name as my primary calendar.

In order to get things working I had to do:

• delete all of my Google calendars from Vueminder
  • reauthorize my account using File->Add Google Calendar->Use a different account
  • enable synchronization
Thanks again,
Steve
Low Speed Endos

Postby kilkenny6 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:11 pm

I didn't really want to start sharing calendars from different Google accounts for various reasons, but I did try that after reading your reply and it did work, for a while. Then my Google calendar failed to sync and did not sync even when I specifically requested it to. So tonight I thought I would try deleting it and adding it again (which is what I used to do when sync failed under older versions of Vueminder). Now I can't add a Google account at all (yes, I am logged in to it). I get an error message that VueMinder is unable to connect to Google Calendar. My network connection and firewall settings are fine. I can't install KB2468871. I suspected it didn't apply to .NET Framework 4.5 and couldn't find it in my registry but I attempted to install it anyway and got a message that it didn't apply.

Any suggestions please? Because VueMinder is virtually useless to me right now.
kilkenny6

Postby VueSoft » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:24 am

Did you try rebooting? If that doesn't fix it, try these steps:

1. Exit VueMinder by right-clicking its icon in the task tray and selecting "Exit".

2. Delete the folder named "C:\Users\YourLoginName\AppData\Roaming\VueMinder.Google.Auth". Note, this folder is hidden. I assume you know how to make hidden folders visible in Windows Explorer.

3. Open the Google Account Permissions page. Revoke access for VueMinder.

4. On the Google Calendar webpage, click the settings button in the upper-right corner. Select "Labs".

5. Click "Disable" for all Labs items. Some lab items have been known to cause intermittent syncing problems in the past. Click the Save button after disabling any lab items.

6. Restart VueMinder.

7. Click the "Add Google Calendar" command on the File menu. You should be prompted to allow access.

8. Hopefully you'll see a list of available calendars and syncing will work.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby kilkenny6 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:22 am

Thanks Dan! That worked. :)
I had tried rebooting, and I have labs disabled anyway, so presumably deleting the data was the key.
kilkenny6

Postby binny » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:28 pm

Hello,

I am currently trying out the PRO Version.

One of the key features I am looking for is to Sync Multiple Google Calendars.

I tried the steps listed above but it seems like only 1 Calendar will sync at at time. The rest do not sync.

Can you confirm whether the latest version support multiple google calendars ?

Binny
binny

Postby VueSoft » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:57 pm

Hi Binny, welcome to the forums. Due to changes to how the Google OAuth2.0 implementation works, VueMinder can only sync with one Google account.

However, there is a simple workaround to this limitation. On the Google Calendar webpage, log into your other account (the one that isn’t synced with VueMinder). Click the drop-down arrow next to your calendar’s name and select “Share this calendar”. Enter the Google account name that you use when syncing with VueMinder. Make sure to adjust the calendar permissions as needed. In VueMinder, click the “Add Google Calendar” command on the File menu. You should see your other account’s calendar in the list. You can add the calendar and VueMinder will sync with the calendar just like the calendars in your primary account.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Next

Return to Suggestions