A To-Do Bar view

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

A To-Do Bar view

Postby mwb1100 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:16 pm

Outlook 2007 has a nice feature called the "To-do Bar". However, it has the severe problem that all-day events (in fact any event or appointment that's 24-hours or longer) do not show - Microsoft says this is 'as designed' so it's not getting fixed.

One of the main reasons that we're looking at VueMinder is to see if it has a to-do bar (or similar) without this limitation. So far I haven't gotten the behavior I'd like, so I'm presenting it as a suggestion: a to-do bar that shows everything on the calendar for today (and the next couple days if space permits) regardless of whether the item is 24 hours long or more.

If this can be done already, pointers would be appreciated.
mwb1100

Re: A To-Do Bar view

Postby mwb1100 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Just to be clear - the "To-Do bar" actually has little to do with the to-do list. It shows the appointments and such for the day (and for the next few days if there's room).
mwb1100

Postby mwb1100 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:34 pm

OK - I've found the Event List which looks to be what I want. I think I skipped over it because it's not on the View menu in the same grouping as the other views (Calendar list, Tasks, etc) and it's just named "List" in the menu.
mwb1100

Postby VueSoft » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:51 pm

Yes, the Event List is what I believe you're looking for. You can configure it to show both tasks and events by selecting from the drop-down list after the "Show..." label. The list can be set to display events and tasks for the current day, next 7 days, current month, etc, by selecting from a drop-down list. You can also manually specify any date range.

There are also a number of columns that can be displayed in addition to the default columns, using the "Cols" drop-down button in the upper-right corner of the list. Advanced features, such as row filtering and export to Excel are also provided. I think you'll find it's far more flexible than Outlook's "to-do" bar!

You can read the complete help documentation about the Event List here:
http://www.vuesoftsite.com/products/vueminder/help/eventlist.html

I agree the menu option for displaying this list isn't in the most intuitive place. I'll improve this in the next release, to make the menu option label say "Event List", and be located in the same group as the other window area menu options.

If you have any other questions/suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:24 am

The Event List menu option has been changed to be grouped with the other options. I think this was done in version 5.2.0, but I forgot to respond to this thread. Anyway, it's in the latest version!
8-)
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions