Vue Minder Suggestion

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Re: Vue Minder Suggestion

Postby Karen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Hello again,

Enhancements with newest release are fantastic! Thanks so much.

I noticed one thing while playing with the newest release....

I am unable to change the appearance of a calendar using Calendar Properties, either from the Edit Menu or by right clicking the calendar and selecting Calendar Properties. I can only change it from within one of the events via the new Appearance tab.

Nothing to do with the new release, but the Key Lime Pie Theme uses white over beige for the bold/italic/underline boxes in the Edit panes. If one didn't know they were there, one would have trouble finding them. I have not checked the other Themes.

Again, I am just tickled pink with the enhancements!
Karen

Postby VueSoft » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:03 am

Hi Karen. I'm glad you like the latest enhancements!

Thanks for letting me know about the problem with the Bold/Underline/Italic buttons not showing up very well when using the Key Lime Pie theme. I usually do the majority of my testing using the default theme, so things like that slip through. I'll fix this in the next release.

In the meantime, you can download the attached theme file, which fixes the problem. Unzip this file to a location of your choice. In the Appearance Options window, browse to the folder where you extracted this file, and then pick this file from the list. This file also fixes some buttons not showing all their text. I also noticed the text in the Gradient drop-down control doesn't show up, but that will require more time to correct.
KeyLimePie.zip
This fixes the problem with the Bold/Italic/Underline toggle buttons not being visible in the Key Lime Pie theme. This is the only theme affected.
(18.36 KiB) Downloaded 307 times

I'm currently investigating the problem you describe about not being able to change the calendar appearance from the Calendar Properties window, but I'm having trouble replicating this behavior.

Can you provide the steps you're using when you see this happening? Does it happen for all calendars or just one in particular? If you create a new calendar, does it happen to that one? Also, do you have the appearance option set to allow event appearances to be individually customized? Any additional information you can provide would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Karen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:40 am

Good morning.

I had my event list span too long and it was taking forever for a change to appear, which is why I didn't notice that it actually WAS changing the appearance of the calendar. So it works, but I am getting an error message. I have tried this with two of the themes (KeyLimePie & OldSchool) as I was looking for a Theme with a white background for printing to save all that background ink. Haven't found one yet.

The error message occurs if I select a calendar from the left side of the screen, right click, select calendar properties....

Guess I am losing my mind. Just tried it before starting this post, then just tried it again to get the exact error message info. Presto! Problem fixed. If it happens again, I will screenshot the message.

Thanks for the KeyLimePie update.
Karen

Postby VueSoft » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:47 pm

Karen, how many events would you guess were in your list when you saw the problem? Please let me know if you see it again.

As for a more print-friendly theme, that's a good suggestion and one I'll work on for the next release. I'll also see if I can add an option for printing in black and white, which would at least save on the color ink. If you dig deep enough in your print settings, you might also be able to find a B&W option for your printer, but it varies depending on your printer model.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Karen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:39 pm

I had the event list showing the entire year and all of the calendars, so there were 724 (how pathetic is that?) events. I was having difficulty changing my all day events that were popping up as 16 hours to all day, so ended up deleting and re-inventing them one-by-one. I have not had a problem with the error message since reducing the time span on the event list.

I am still having trouble with calendar properties. I decided to restart my computer and open the program fresh to try to duplicate the problem. I couldn't manage that, but here is what happened instead:

I created a new calendar. I tried this both from the file/new calendar and from the new calendar button on the toolbar. When you do this, the new calendar window opens so that the defaults can be set. I changed everything about the calendar - selected all day - reminder 2 hours - changed the font size - selected bold and italic - changed the font color - changed the two background colors - changed the gradient style. Selected OK. Everything that I changed in the event default tab stuck. Nothing I changed in the appearance tab did. However, if I create a new event for that calendar, and in the appearance tab, select the radio button for "all events in this event's calendar", make my changes, then it will change the calendar's appearance to match. If I then decide that I need to make changes to the calendar (perhaps publish it) as soon as I select calendar properties and the window pops open, the calendar (on the left side in the calendar list) reverts to the original appearance, and all the appearance selections in the window show the original appearance. Clear as mud?

So basically I cannot get a new calendar's appearance to change except from an event pane. Once I get it changed, it will not stick if I have to open calendar properties either from the edit menu or from a right mouse click menu.

I have not tried just changing one thing (like the font size) and seeing if that works. It may just be one attribute that is causing my problem. Anyway, I hope you can duplicate this. Just FYI, I am currently using the OldSchool Theme.
Karen

Postby Karen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:51 pm

Just after I sent the above post, I tried one more thing. This same problem happens from the event list when changing an event to a different calendar. As soon as the calendar change is selected from the drop-down list, it reverts the selected calendar (and all of it's events) to the original default appearance.
Karen

Postby VueSoft » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:48 pm

That is odd. I'm not seeing the same behavior, but I'll investigate.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:03 am

So basically I cannot get a new calendar's appearance to change except from an event pane. Once I get it changed, it will not stick if I have to open calendar properties either from the edit menu or from a right mouse click menu.
A new release is available, version 3.09.0214. This version contains a number of corrections related to event appearances and the event list, so hopefully this will fix the problems you're seeing.

I'll also see if I can add an option for printing in black and white, which would at least save on the color ink.
The Print window has a new "Print in color" checkbox. When unchecked, printing will be done in grayscale.

Nothing to do with the new release, but the Key Lime Pie Theme uses white over beige for the bold/italic/underline boxes in the Edit panes. If one didn't know they were there, one would have trouble finding them.
The new version includes a corrected Key Lime Pie appearance theme.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Previous

Return to Suggestions