Provide option not to show recurrent reminders in month view

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Provide option not to show recurrent reminders in month view

Postby daniel347x » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:38 am

I have a single recurrent reminder whose subject is a long string of text.

My Month view in my calendar is now completely jammed with text, with every day being packed to the gills with this long text (which is ugly and distracting). See attached screenshot. (I tried to attach the .gif screenshot, but I constantly receive a "Could not upload attachment to ./files/1012_..." error message; Javascript is enabled)

I looked in the Event Definition dialog for the full series, hoping to find an option to "not show this event in Month view", but there was no such option.

Might I suggest an option that says "Do not show this event in Month view"?

Thanks!
daniel347x

Re: Provide option not to show recurrent reminders in month

Postby VueSoft » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi daniel347x, thank you for the suggestion. I'm hesitant to add any option that would cause events to be hidden from some views but not others. I think this could result in confusion for some users.

Have you considered shortening or abbreviating the event title? The Description tab in the Event Editor can be used to record any addition details.

Also, have you tried turning off the word wrap feature in the Month view? This can be disabled by clicking the settings button in the upper-right corner (big blue gear, can't miss it), and then unchecking "Word Wrap".

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby daniel347x » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:13 pm

"Show low detail" and "No word wrap" looks much better, thanks. That is very palatable.

Looking now at the calendar, it's still nonetheless distracting to see my daily recurring note filling up every day of the calendar - it makes truly unique events not stand out as much.

I therefore have a related suggestion: There could be the option to display a small icon, rather than the text of a given event (or recurring event) itself. Hovering the cursor over the icon would reveal pop-up text.

Thanks,
Dan
daniel347x

Postby VueSoft » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:09 am

Hi Dan, thank you for the suggestion. Have you considered changing the background color of the recurring event to transparent, so it doesn't grab so much attention as other more important events? There's a lot you can do with how events are colored. You could also reduce the font size of the recurring event.

Also, there are filtering capabilities which can be used to hide things you don't need to see. Please see the "Filtering Calendar Items" section of the documentation linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... rlist.html

Does that help?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby daniel347x » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:05 am

I can't think of a better use for the "Low Priority" flag.

I set that flag on the recurring event, and then opted to not show low priority events in the calendar. Suddenly, they all vanished from view.

Perfect!

Thanks.
daniel347x

Return to Suggestions