keyboard shortcuts in reminder screen

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

keyboard shortcuts in reminder screen

Postby thorinp » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:56 am

I've upgraded from version 9 to 10 and I'm already sorry; could you please restore the reminder screen to how it was in version 9?
When snoozing or dismissing a reminder, focus should preferrably go back to the time drop down (1 minute, 2 minutes etc.); this way you can quickly select the snooze time, and hit alt-S to snooze; in version 10 focus goes to the reminder list, and I haven't found any key that will bring focus back to the time drop down.
Also, typing in the time dropdown doesn't seem to have autocomplete anymore; if I enter '2' and hit the down arrow, I do not get the options of '2 minutes' and '2 days'.
thorinp

Re: keyboard shortcuts in reminder screen

Postby VueSoft » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:43 am

Hi thorinp, welcome to the forums and thank you for the feedback. I'll improve the next version so the snooze length will have focus when the popup reminder appears. I'll also fix the autocompletion. I'll post a reply when the next version is available.

Thanks again, and please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:02 pm

Version 10.1.1 has been released. This version improves the snooze field in the popup reminder window as requested. To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby thorinp » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:20 am

Hi Dan,

Thnx a lot!

A few points still:
- perhaps if you press '1' in the snooze time dropdown list and then the down arrow, it could show only the options starting with '1' (1 minute before start, 1 hour before start, 1 day before start, 1 minute etc.); I think this was the behaviour under version 9; typing in the snooze time field thus would narrow the selection;
- when there are multiple reminders shown, I get the feeling that focus is on both the snooze time dropdown list and the reminder list; when I press the down arrow, the next reminder is selected and simultaniously the snooze time dropodown list will react;
- the mnemonics are not underlined; e.g. if you'd underline the S in Snooze, it would be clear that alt-S would activate 'Snooze';
- the tab cycle should go over all buttons, dropdown list and task list, so if I press tab multiple times, it should select Snooze button, Snooze All button, dropdown list, Dismiss button, Dismiss All button, task list and then back to Snooze button;

Kind regards.
thorinp

Postby VueSoft » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi thorinp, thank you for the feedback.

- perhaps if you press '1' in the snooze time dropdown list and then the down arrow, it could show only the options starting with '1' (1 minute before start, 1 hour before start, 1 day before start, 1 minute etc.)

I've added this to my to-do list and will post a reply when it's completed. In the meantime, If you type "1 m", it will auto-complete the value as "1 minute". If you type "1 mo", it will auto-complete as "1 month". Personally, I think this might be faster that typing "1" and then selecting from the drop-down list.

- when there are multiple reminders shown, I get the feeling that focus is on both the snooze time dropdown list and the reminder list; when I press the down arrow, the next reminder is selected and simultaniously the snooze time dropodown list will react

Yes, this was the intent. I was trying to make it easier for the snooze value to be typed in, without needing to first click the snooze length field to give it keyboard focus. Are you saying this isn't what you wanted?

- the mnemonics are not underlined; e.g. if you'd underline the S in Snooze, it would be clear that alt-S would activate 'Snooze';

This was a side-effect of enabling VueMinder to be translated to other languages. I had to drop the mnemonic underlining stuff because it interferes with the translation and might be different depending on the language being used. This would have resulted in a lot more complexity in the code. I'll revisit this and will let you know when I have a solution. In the meantime, if you hover the mouse over the Snooze button, the shortcut is indicated in the tooltip.

- the tab cycle should go over all buttons, dropdown list and task list, so if I press tab multiple times, it should select Snooze button, Snooze All button, dropdown list, Dismiss button, Dismiss All button, task list and then back to Snooze button

The buttons and snooze drop-down at the bottom of the window are actually implemented as a toolbar. This enables the window to be resized and the buttons to adjust their positioning. In version 10, you can make the reminder window much smaller than you could in version 9, which is an improvement that many users requested. Unfortunately, the toolbar doesn't work with the tab order, although I think I might be able to fix this. I'll keep you posted.

I hope you'll find the latest improvements a step in the right direction. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby thorinp » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:28 am

Hi Dan,

- when there are multiple reminders shown, I get the feeling that focus is on both the snooze time dropdown list and the reminder list; when I press the down arrow, the next reminder is selected and simultaniously the snooze time dropodown list will react
Yes, this was the intent. I was trying to make it easier for the snooze value to be typed in, without needing to first click the snooze length field to give it keyboard focus. Are you saying this isn't what you wanted?

Yes, but if I have 2 warnings in my list, pressing the down arrow one time has 2 effects: the snooze time dropdown list reacts (as expected) but also the next warning is selected (not expected).

- the tab cycle should go over all buttons, dropdown list and task list, so if I press tab multiple times, it should select Snooze button, Snooze All button, dropdown list, Dismiss button, Dismiss All button, task list and then back to Snooze button
The buttons and snooze drop-down at the bottom of the window are actually implemented as a toolbar. This enables the window to be resized and the buttons to adjust their positioning. In version 10, you can make the reminder window much smaller than you could in version 9, which is an improvement that many users requested. Unfortunately, the toolbar doesn't work with the tab order, although I think I might be able to fix this. I'll keep you posted.

Perhaps another key, like F6, to switch between toolbar and task list component?

I hope you'll find the latest improvements a step in the right direction. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.

Defenitely.

Kind regards,

Thorin
thorinp

Return to Suggestions