Dockable event description pane

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Dockable event description pane

Postby gjbth » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:03 pm

would it possible to have a dockable/resizabe pane, (similar to the calendar list, event list etc) for the event description so that whichever event was active at the time, the Full description text would be on display in this window as per the description tab in the event creation dialog. It would be great if you could also give the option to "display as html" as well.

Maybe a small area at the top of the pane displaying the full event title.

Best Regards

gjbth
gjbth

Re: Dockable event description pane

Postby VueSoft » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll work on adding this to the next release.

In the meantime, in case you're not already aware, you can show the event description as a column in the Event List (but it might be too long to fit on a single row - hover the mouse over the description in the Event List to see the full text). You'll also get the description when hovering the mouse over an event in the Day/Week/Month View, assuming you have the Calendar Option for this feature enabled.

The downside to both of these is that HTML descriptions appear as plain text in the event list and tooltips, and you aren't able to click any links in the description without opening the Event Editor and going to the Description tab. Having an option for the event description to appear in a separate window pane will solve that. Thanks again for the suggestion!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:30 pm

I had found the two methods you detail, but some of my description fields are 30 lines or more long.

having a visible window, displaying the full text without having to hover the mouse over an event would a great aid.

Thanks for considering my suggestion
gjbth

Postby VueSoft » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:53 am

A new version (5.1.0) has been released with this feature added. To see the full text of the selected event's description, as well as other information like the event location and when the reminder will be displayed, etc, click the "Details" checkbox on the View menu.

If the event description is created using the new "formatted text" option in the Event Editor, or using raw HTML in the previous version, you'll be able to click on any links contained within the description to open web pages or local files.

Please let me know what you think of the new feature, or if there are any changes you'd like made to how it has been designed. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:37 pm

I think this feature and the event description editor are major additions to an already huge feature list.

These two features really transform the way I use Vueminder and are just way beyond what I am used to in my previous calendar software.

Many thanks again Dan. :D :D :D

gjbth
gjbth

Postby gjbth » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:04 am

I don't even know whether this is tehnically possible.

But could the event pane have an additional tab. The same as the event description editor has two tabs.

i.e One tab would be exactly as it is now, that is read only, so the user could simply view the description text but could not make any modifications. This would always be the default tab to avoid any unintended alterations.

The second tab would allow the user to directly alter the description text, without having to open the event creation dialog.

Best regards

gjbth
gjbth

Postby VueSoft » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:15 am

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be possible, but I'll need to think about how to best incorporate it into the current design.

I was attempting to keep the Details Pane relatively simple, to miminize run-time performance delays when switching between selected events.

My thinking is if you have to click a tab or something to access the description where it can be edited, why not open the Event Editor instead, where all the details of the event can be edited? Maybe a button could be added to the Details pane for opening the displayed event, and the Description tab could the first one displayed, instead of the Actions tab.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:27 am

Agreed thats probably a more sensible approach, It would still give fast access to edit the description text.

Thanks again

gjbth
gjbth

Postby VueSoft » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:17 pm

A new version (5.1.1) has been released to address this. Event titles in the Details pane can be clicked to make the event open in the Event Editor. The Description tab will be initially displayed when opening events through the Details pane. This also works for tasks. Enjoy!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Suggestions